Author Topic: Hawkers vs pedlars  (Read 14097 times)

Offline Alegnajay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkers vs pedlars
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 February 07 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jille,
My ggreatgrandfather(John) and his father were named on on John's marriage certificate as Higglers.  When I looked this up it was described as hagglers/pedlars.  Some of the professions they had were:  selling fruit, and coal carrier, which leads me to draw the conclusion that they had a cart.  I always got the impression that they were people that repairs pots and pans and maybe furniture.  The definition of pedlar is: a person who peddles, a hawker and has been changed from the word pedder - the root of the word is: pedde - basket (of unknown origin).  So it is obviously someone who sells things but whether on foot or from a cart isn't specified.
Don't know if this helps or confuses things.
Angela

Offline rdads maggie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 22:53 GMT (UK) »
For Clara . Old crone

Your travelling Pannells!
Ihave been looking for Pannels who were travellers for a while now as i think 2 were at my great
grandads funeral Berrow 1907 Henry Orchard he died at the age of 55 Please still be out there!

Best wishes
Maggie

Offline devonblue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My lot changed down the censuses, starting off in 1871 as Travelling Gypsies" and living in tents to becoming Licensed Hawkers by 1891 and living Carvans or Vans. This change in description was presumably due to the new laws. They were also "Dealers in Horses" which also implies that  they had transport

One lot who were associated with brush makers lived in a 'Brush Van on the road' again implying transport.

Another lady subject of a court case between two different Guardians of the Poor areas (Axminster and Plymouth) which then went to appeal in the  House of Lords was described by the Judge as 'Living about in Tents' in 1899.

I think a lot of it was purely subjective on the part of the person making the description.
Midlands:Bayliss, Clemo, Eburn, Evans, Finney, Mayo, Morris, Rhead, Shutt, Upton, Waterhouse, Woodward, Wright, Woolley, Wyatt, 
Devon: Gillard, Jenkins, Manfield, Morrish, Palk, Salter, Shire, Scorse, Summers, Wood,
Dorset:  Fudge, Roberts,Trowbridge,
Montgomeryshire: Evans
Norfolk: Bond, Everard, Riches,
Somerset:Clothier, Hockey, Jenkins, Shire
Ireland:Mihill, Woodward, Zumach
Scotland:Lewis
Travellers:Cooper, Davies, Hughes, Manley, Orchard, Penfold, Roberts, Small, Wells/Wills