Author Topic: Joseph LAMBE family 1909, Shercock  (Read 11798 times)

Offline nchistory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph LAMBE family 1909, Shercock
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 October 10 14:55 BST (UK) »
That's very interesting, because the other side of my family were Carolans (now spelt Carlin over here) from the same area of Cavan.
My great-grandfather, Thomas Carolan or Carlin, born 1833, left Ireland for Edinburgh in the 1880s with his wife Catherine Connelly or Connolly, and so sooner or later did all their children: Helen, Patrick, Catherine, Andrew (my grandfather), Thomas, Julia, Charles, Margaret and James. Some of these, maybe all, were born in Bailieborough between c. 1858 and 1875, and emigrated to Edinburgh in the 1880s. All except maybe Patrick married in Scotland, and they have descendants now in Scotland, England and the USA. A rather distant cousin has done a lot of research but mostly from the period after the family arrived in Edinburgh.
I haven't so far been able to find any records of my grandfather Andrew's birth in Cavan, nor those of any of his siblings, partly because the names are so common in Cavan that every search is potentially costly on IFHF. If you have any leads from previous generations of your own Carolans that could lead me back beyond this couple, Thomas Carlin and Catherine Connelly, married in the late 1850s, I would be most interested.
Though the Carolans, Lambe and McMahons were near neighbours in Cavan, and most of those who migrated to Edinburgh lived within a quite small area, my parents, so far as I know, were the first Carlin-McMahon union here.

Offline carolanresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 October 10 23:58 BST (UK) »
Reply to nchistory:  Was confused as I first thought the your latest post was from Terentio.  In any event, I agree with your comment re IFHF, I feel I am have been personally supporting them during the last month. IN case you have not been on the site recently, they do now have an advance search which does somewhat narrow the field.  Of course, searching in Cavan is difficult fue to the many Carolans there; in reviewing the names, Andrew, Charles and James are not names that pop up in our Carolan line.  Given that it seems that oftentimes names in a particular line are repeatd over and over over the generations, I suspect we are not closely related.  I will keep my eyes open for any information on you line.  Carolan Researcher.
Carolan (Cavan, Ireland), Tuite (Cavan, Ireland), Sully (Somerset, England), Cowling (Pately Bridge, Yorkshire, England), Dowd (Clare, Ireland), Needham (Tipperary, Ireland)

Offline terentio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 October 10 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thankyou for your replies which are very helpful. I can give you more information once I hear from my father. I can tell you that there are related Carolans living in Manchester, UK and will be able to give you further details once I have permission. There are Lambe and Carolan graves worth looking up in Southern Cemetary, Manchester. My dad also has a cousin (?) called Teresa living in the US with whom he is in regular contact.

Bye for now and best wishes,

terentio

Offline slowjoe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 16:43 BST (UK) »
 :D hi
 my name is joe carolan.i live in bradford west yorkshire.
 my mother (mary) aunts kethleen & theresa, uncles john & patrick (patsy)
 are all from killcrossduff.all but thersa have died.
thersa lamb carolan still lives in escondido USA
my grandperants was james (jimmy) carolan mary ann mcmahon ,she was from crossmaglen co monaghan.
there was 3 brothers 1870s pat james & neddy.from northlands area near shercock.
 i hope this info helps you .god luck
                                               joe

Offline Catherine Rainwater

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 February 17 18:43 GMT (UK) »
That's very interesting, because the other side of my family were Carolans (now spelt Carlin over here) from the same area of Cavan.
My great-grandfather, Thomas Carolan or Carlin, born 1833, left Ireland for Edinburgh in the 1880s with his wife Catherine Connelly or Connolly, and so sooner or later did all their children: Helen, Patrick, Catherine, Andrew (my grandfather), Thomas, Julia, Charles, Margaret and James. Some of these, maybe all, were born in Bailieborough between c. 1858 and 1875, and emigrated to Edinburgh in the 1880s. All except maybe Patrick married in Scotland, and they have descendants now in Scotland, England and the USA. A rather distant cousin has done a lot of research but mostly from the period after the family arrived in Edinburgh.
I haven't so far been able to find any records of my grandfather Andrew's birth in Cavan, nor those of any of his siblings, partly because the names are so common in Cavan that every search is potentially costly on IFHF. If you have any leads from previous generations of your own Carolans that could lead me back beyond this couple, Thomas Carlin and Catherine Connelly, married in the late 1850s, I would be most interested.
Though the Carolans, Lambe and McMahons were near neighbours in Cavan, and most of those who migrated to Edinburgh lived within a quite small area, my parents, so far as I know, were the first Carlin-McMahon union here.

My great grandfather was an Andrew Connolly (his parents Henry and Elizabeth).  Andrew married in 1892, Catherine Weir, in Glasgow, Scotland.  He was 26 and she was 22.  It's so difficult to find info because these names are so common out there, but do you think this would be a relation? I have their marriage form information.  Andrew and Catherine and a son named Peter who immigrated in 1928/29 (he arrived on Jan 1, '29) to the US (then went to Canada).  He was born in 1906.