Author Topic: Census Lookup 1841/51/61 SILVER  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: Census Lookup 1841/51/61 SILVER
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 June 06 11:09 BST (UK) »
Interesting change of occupation...... ???

If this is Maria Eliz Silver in 1871/1881? their is a possibility that James and family are in Jersey in 1841............I can't see Jersey in 1841 it appears however that many can.................

possible marriage 1867 Bethnal Green......... Maria Silver married ?

luckington road, sherston magna, wiltshire
THOMAS JAMES                     head  28  veterinary surgeon    Ashton? Keynes
MARIA ELIZ  "                       wife    25                                 Jersey, St Hellier?
MARIAH E A BARY JAMES       daur   18 MONTH                     Ashton? Keynes
---------------------
7 Ludlow St, Penarth, Glamorgan, Wales
THOMAS JAMES   Head  37  GARDENER   Read, Berkshire     
MARIA          "      Wife   35                     St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands       
Maria E.        "      Daur   11   SCHOLAR   Kingston, Surrey     
Blanch          "          "      9         "                  "          "     
Chateau Brard "   Son     5         "            Risca, Monmouth     
Barry               "       "       3         "           Penarth, Glamorgan, Wales     
Kate L.             "   Daur     1                            "             "
-----------------------     

Bryant 

Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline whatshername

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 August 11 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

Sorry I have taken so long to answer this, but I only joined a few days ago! Hope you are still around! This is very interesting because Eliza Emily is my husband's gt grandmother. Please bear in mind that I am still researching this family tree, so this information is incomplete. Since it a difficult family to trace I am very fortunate to be in contact with a PhD student who is also researching this intriguing family.

Eliza Emily (1841 - 1901) was an actress who married a travelling comedian called Frederick Lausanne O'Leary (who used the surname Fredericks). Lausanne came from a family of travelling actors who originated in Ireland.

The elder Emily (born 1815) is her mother, but Silver is not her father.....more about Silver later. Gt gt grandmother Emily had a (well documented) affair with an actor called Charles C Dillon who was married to a Clarissa Conquest (I feel really sorry for her) and as far as I am aware they had three children: we know for certain that two of the three were Emily & William, and it looks like the third might be James (although it's odd that he has the same Christian name as Silver).

William changed his name to Charles Dillon (the same name as his father) and was also an actor. If you look at The Theatre Royal Stratford website (that Charles Dillon Jnr owned before it was sold to Frederick Lausanne's brother Albert), or Charles C Dillon on Wikipedia, you will find more info on this story. (Please note that the Theatre Royal website is full of errors - have been meaning to get in touch with them because lots of the history makes no sense.)

The theatre later passed to my hubby's late grandfather, who also married an actress (deceased). In fact apart from Silver, everybody I have mentioned so far has been in a theatrical profession and unfortunately used more than one name.....not an easy family to trace. They married into other theatrical families including the family who at the time were the biggest theatre owners in the UK.

Emily and Fred had a number of children - I can give you their names if you are interested - in the birth record she gives her name as "O'Leary formerly Middleton" or "O'Leary formerly Silver" which suggests to me that her birth name must have been "Middleton" which was changed to "Silver" when her mother married Silver, so she used either of them as her former name. We don't have her birth cert yet, but if you are interested I can pass the info to you when I buy it. We do have a number of birth, marriage and death certs that might be of interest to you.

James Silver is a complete and utter mystery to us. By the way I read his profession as "assistant to goldsmith", which makes sense since the family were all artists of one kind or another. Don't forget that he is not related to my hubby so I have not found out much about him yet. What is strange is that my hubby has fairly dark skin for an Englishman, and was always told that it's because his ancestor was a D'Silva from Portugal who changed his name to Silver!!! Since he is not even a descendent of Silver this is not possible. Anyway the dark complexion is inherited from the other side of his family! What nonsense families spout......on the other hand Silver's name could have been d'Silva or Desliva, which might be why he seems to have disappeared into thin air!

I could go on and on, so I had better mention Marian who was known as Rose James. There is so much "stuff" in my head that I am struggling to remember who's who. She is supposed to be the half (?) sister of Eliza Emily, and probably the daughter of Emily and Silver, but since I wasn't there at the time, it's not possible to be certain!! A previous researcher "discovered" that she (Rose) married Albert (Lausanne's brother) after the death of his first wife, and my sister in law still believes it to be true, but since I can find no record of a marriage, or of them having lived together, and he did not provide for her in his will (we have a copy) I have dismissed it as fantasy. Actually I think I know how he came to that conclusion, but that is another story!

So if you are still interested I can tell you what we know about Marian / Rose, or find out what you need to know about this family.

As for Frederick Theodore, I had not finished looking for Emily's children and did not know he existed. It would be good to learn something about him please, after all he is my hubby's gt grandmother's brother or half brother. Do you know who the father was? What makes you think it was Silver?!! Do you know how many children there were in total? Are you sure that the Frederick from Stepney is the right Frederick? Also it would be lovely to learn more about Rose / Marian.

Purely coincidentally I used to live in Stepney so I know it very will indeed!

If you read this please can you get in touch? I know this is very complicated!

Thank you.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 August 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

According to her profile Jenny was last on Rootschat in June 2008 so may not see your post on this topic. After three posts on Rootschat you can send and receive personal messages.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

If Jenny has not turned off her notifications or changed her email address - a personal message sends a notification to her known email address to alert her.

Regards

Valda
co-moderator London and Middlesex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline whatshername

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 August 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much....I have no idea what I am doing. I am new to genealogy and useless at using a computer / the internet! I will email privately when I can think of something else to contribute to the forum! It is such an interesting story that I hoped to tell Jenny, and find out more about Marian / Rose from our family.

Offline Jenny_Murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 August 11 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi i am very interested in any information that you have on Emily and her family. Yes my uncle Harold also told us there was a name change from D'Silva but as yet i have not been able to locate it as i am only just getting back into the family history after a break from it. The information i have on Frederick Theodore is as follows.
Born Mar 1853 Stepeny London England, died 23 August 1931 in Alexandria NSW occupation Undertaker, am not sure when he arrived in Australia yet. He married Christiana Pinney in 1888, born abt 1863 Lutton England died 1901 in Balmain NSW Christiana had 2 childred before she married Lucy Pinny born abt 1879 died 1962 and Robert H pinney born 1881 died 1882. Frederick and Christiana had 6 children together they were as follows
Frederick Theodore Silver born 1884 died 15 Jan 1950 in Mascot NSW
Rosina Emily Silver born 1886 died 8 Aug 1933
William H Silver born 1888 died 1943
Joseph Amos Silver (My grandfather) born 1889 in Waterloo NSW died 2 Jan 1942 in Royal Northshore Hospital NSW
Lizzie Silver born 1891 died 1893
George Samuel Silver born 1895 died 1954 in Redfurn NSW
Frederick remarried Mary E Bryant in 1901

Offline beatrice834

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 June 14 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, anyone out there still researching the Silver/O'Leary/Fredericks family?  I have a theory on the identity of the mysterious James Silver, first husband of Emily Middleton Middlecoat, whose daughter Eliza Emily (usually Emily) married into the Fredericks family.  I am putting together a Fredericks family tree on behalf of a friend for the Drury Lane Theatrical Archive.  I see from the attached messages that family members were involved on Rootschat some time ago, and would love to be in contact with them.
Thanks, and happy researching!
Minta, Wadeson (Lincs) Leeson, Staniforth (Leics) Wain (Lincs)

Offline Jenny_Murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 July 14 04:57 BST (UK) »
Hi yes I am still researching the silver family and very interested in any information you may have
Thanks