Author Topic: Recent Information  (Read 1055 times)

Offline rgeldard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Recent Information
« on: Sunday 24 October 04 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hello (again) to all of you very helpful members of the board.

I have another question.

What is the most recent search dates I will be able to find out here in cyberspace.  I know that the civil registration index is subtitled 1837-1983, but getting any results post 1910 are very few and far between, particularly birth and marriage information.

Is this possible at all - or is the information too recent to be made available publicly ?

Thanks

Richard
Butler - Ramsgate (Kent)
Shepherd - West Mersea (Essex)
Tettersell - Brighton (Sussex)
Buss - Maidstone (Kent)
Geldard - Leeds (Yorkshire)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recent Information
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 04 00:58 BST (UK) »
freeBMD wants to get all data up to 1911 transcribed before going on, as I understand it. They have a long way to go with this great and beneficial task. I suspect that it is this that you have called the civil registration index.
1837online is however a fee paying site that contains all records of registered births, marriages and deaths from Sept 1837 to virtually up to date.
UK census records are not available to the public after that of 1901.
It is not unreasonable to think that someone researching a relative born in 1912 might have access to good identifying information that would enable a proper search for certificates. An ancestor from 1850 however would be outside the living memory of anyone alive today. That is why older data is such a valuable resource.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kevan

• RootsChat Senior
  • My beautiful grandmother - Ethel Litlechild
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 October 04 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   It is true that census information less than 100 years old is unavailable. BUT, you can visit your local library  and view the BMD on microfiche for free, and these are for virtually any period, I believe.
  Also, all Church of England parish records (in most instances) are available for searching in your local record office. This all depends whether the parish has decided to store their records at the record office.
  Non  C Of E records seem to follow a differenet path, but they are accessible if you can find where they are stored.
  Most information is available by doing the correct google search. It just requires the right search keywords.
Best
Kevan
Kevan - Wilding, Littlechild, Beard, Cumbers, Murphy, Wickham, Lagden etc.
Public House info
http://essex1841.com &
http://pubshistory.com
http://historyofstratford.co.uk//

Offline DeComyn

• RootsChat Member
  • The elusive Amy Bowen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 October 04 20:13 BST (UK) »
I've used ukbmd.org.uk  and gone on to the localbmd link. Only some counties have one of these and the info is patchy, but for Staffordshire I've been able to access records up to 1935 which has been really useful
Morgan/ -Hereford, Gloucester, Pontypridd
Bowen/ Bibby/Wright - Hereford
Whitney - Hereford, Staffs, Notts
Lockett/ Price  - Kington Hereford
Bradshaw, Chell, Goodwin - Stoke on Trent
Henk, Toft - Stoke on Trent