Author Topic: What information is in the OPRs?  (Read 3934 times)

Offline rcorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
What information is in the OPRs?
« on: Tuesday 13 June 06 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just wondering if someone can tell me if it is worth looking at the OPRs on microfilm (LDS)?

I have two baptisms and a marriage all in film # 1068033 batch C/M 118744 Parish registers for Kirkpatrick-Durham, Kirkcudbrightshire.  The events I am looking for are baptisms 1830 & 1832 and marriage 1838.

Do they give any further information than is indexed?  Even the father/husband's occupation or whether people are from the parish or elsewhere would be handy.  Anything really as have hit not quite a brick wall, more like a brick labyrinth!

Thanks,
Ruth
Bouncing emails

England: Green, Povey, Bedford, Bridgland, Catlin, Patton
Scotland: Fraser, Kennedy, Kelly, Hean, Higgins
Isle of Man: Corris, Faragher, Corkill, Shimmin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What information is in the OPRs?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 June 06 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth

The answer is they might  :(
The amount of info is variable but worth looking at just in case. The very old records are sparce in the info provided especially for 'ordinary' people. Upper class/gentry records have sponsonrs, etc. on birth records and their marriage records are often more detailed.

See this thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,162871.new.html#new

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
Re: What information is in the OPRs?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 June 06 13:25 BST (UK) »
Greetings,

After several years of hitting brick walls, I finally decided save the money I was spending on trying to get through/under/over them, and visit Scotland myself  :D  I found a treasure trove in the The Kirk Sessions, Wills and Testaments, old newspapers, and various books, papers, contributions by other researchers in local History and Genealogy societies. I still don't have the exact dates and names I was looking for in the OPR records, but found many other interesting references and fascinating details about some of my family members in the process.  Dont give up! Forgive the pun, but where there is a Will, there is a way! And Scotland and her people were wonderful.
Good Luck
Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa