Author Topic: Wilton W W Glover  (Read 5439 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilton W W Glover
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
Further to my search for Wilton, geneaccount's link provided a little more information on him. He deserted again from the Kamehameha while the ship was in Valparaiso Chile. I haven't found any matching records even on a worldwide search :(
I now think he was named after the son of his father's employer. Here are my reasons: Wilton's father seemed proud to be working for Kelsick Wood (shipbuilder Maryport) as his employer is specified in the 1851 census. In May 1832 Kelsick Wood's son, Wilton William Wood was accidentally killed, aged 28, in a coach accident. My Wilton has the initials WW after his first name on the 1851 census so that may stand for William Wood ie his full name would have been Wilton William Wood Glover. Does that make any sense?
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline John G Robinson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to this forum so forgive me digging up an older thread (seems appropriate given the topic), but I tripped over it during a Google search. I'm fairly new to genealogical research, but it's a matter of family history that one of my ancestors through marriage was Wilton W Wood, who was born in Maryport in 1832. My dad is 83, and his middle name is Wilton. It doesn't seem to be a common first name.

My Wilton seems different from the one you've discussed here, but I thought it might be interesting to mention him anyway. He was the father of Kelsick Huthwaite Wood, who was my great aunt Roberta's husband. The marriage didn't last long, and I doubt that it was a happy one.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi John G Robinson
I haven't visited the forum for months now (full time working again so less time for hobbies)
I wonder if your Wilton was also named after the Wilton that died.
The name has been passed down my family too, my great grandfather & grandfather had it as their first name, my uncle and his son have it as a middle name. It is certainly an uncommon one
I hope you are enjoying the forum, there are some very knowledgable & experienced folk on here
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.