Author Topic: Wilton W W Glover  (Read 5447 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilton W W Glover
« on: Tuesday 13 June 06 15:36 BST (UK) »
This person was 17 in the 1851 census for Crosscanonby working as a shipwright. Also have him in 1841, same address. Can find no trace after 1851 though, checked IGI, free BMD and Ancestry.  Can't find brothers James, John and William either. Anyone got any suggestions?
Christine
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wilton W W Glover
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 17:57 BST (UK) »
I am still trying to track down this man so am resurrecting my original post!
I have a baptism at Maryport on 7th October 1832, parents James and Mary
1841 Wilton is aged 9, living with his parents in Canonby Cross, Maryport, 1851 as originally stated, aged 17, a shipwright, still with parents in Crosscanonby Maryport
I have also found merchant navy records of apprenticeships from 1847 and 1849 (I think he may have deserted his ship on each occasion, can't read the red writing very easily
The last snippet I have is a marriage at Cross Canonby on 29th January 1854 btween Frances Proctor and Wilson Glover (I suspect a transcription error on his christian name) and a death for Frances Glover, 2nd quarter 1854 Whitehaven
Maybe Wilton went to sea and never came back after the death of his wife?
Maybe he moved away, or died at sea? I can find no trace of him after the probable marriage.
He is not my direct line, that is his older sister who named a son Wilton (I suspect in his memory) and the name has been passed down through the family ever since so I would like to complete his story if possible
Thanks in advance for any help or information
Christine
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 19:10 BST (UK) »
Possibly him in 1853 still in the navy?

First name   Wilton
Last name   Glover
Age   22
Birth year   1832
Birth place   Maryport
Birth county/country   Cumberland
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 19:15 BST (UK) »
Wilton W W Glover

What were his second and third christian names?  Could he be known under one of them instead of Wilton on later census entries?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 19:23 BST (UK) »
His baptism on 7.10.1832 only shows him as Wilton - it's the 1851 entry that has WW after Wilton
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 19:28 BST (UK) »
LisaRobinson87, yes I am sure that is him. There is some small red handwriting over the record which I can't fully decipher
CaroleW, unfortunately I have no idea of the other initials. One of his brothers was a William, I haven't looked for him recently but he always proved somewhat elusive. I only have transcriptions for this family with them being in Cumberland there doesn't seem to be much online for this county
Thanks for the replies so far

Offline geneaccount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 September 16 02:06 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure how common the name is but there is a Wilton Glover on the ship "Kamehameher" in 1857. There is an extract from the log travelling from Liverpool to Honolulu:

"Wilton Glover went AWOL on 21-22 Apr, refused duty on 5 Jul; AWOL on 22 Aug; on 23 Aug intoxicated on board and refusing duties; Demanded discharge on 25 Aug which was refused; AWOL on 26 Aug; Arrested at 6pm on 26 Aug and sent to prison; Released from prison on 31 Aug and put to work at his own request."

It fits your timeline, his occupation and his general attitude.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 September 16 11:12 BST (UK) »
Geneaccount
Thank you very much for that snippet. It does seem to fit and I haven't come across the name very often. Where did you find the information?

Offline geneaccount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 October 16 05:23 BST (UK) »