Author Topic: Hinsley family of Carlton / Snaith  (Read 12484 times)

Offline genjunction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hinsley family of Carlton / Snaith
« on: Tuesday 13 June 06 20:35 BST (UK) »
My father was told by his cousin, that he was related to Cardinal Hinsley - well if he's related, so am I.

As with all my family stories, they all come to my ears too late to be confirmed by who told who etc.,

I have a little of the cousins tree sprouting off mine, but no Hinsley names.

So I have decided to work forward and back at the same time and see if I can find a link to the cousin that way.

I have details of Cardinal Hinsley (Arthur) and his parents, siblings + a few more branches etc and not yet found the elusive link to the Randall family that links into my Siddle lot.

Does anyone know of this family or can suggest an alternative way of thinking.  I seem to be family history blinded at the moment!!!!!

regards and happy listing

Carol
Siddle, Sklinar, Officer, Hebden, Riach, Younie, Mitchell aka McKandie, Algar, Wilkinson, Haverson, Mucklow,
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk

Offline kcstadium

• RootsChat Senior
  • gf Henry Samuel Avery 1860-1942
    • View Profile
Re: Hinsley family of Carlton / Snaith
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 July 06 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol
Can't help you on Randalls/Siddels but I also have a link with Hinsleys.
Susannah Hinsley born Carlton 4.02.1792 married John Graves at Snaith 8.10.1820
Susannah was the daughter of John Hinsley (IGI has Hensley) born abt 1761 Carlton & Elizabeth Pheasant abt 1762 - marriage 28.12.1784 Carlton. You probably know all this already?
There is a 'Hinsley Lane' in Carlton no doubt named after them, possibly 'the cardinal'?
Also 2 male Hinsleys (didn't take names) buried in Carlton Churchyard, dates of which suggest they could be brothers of Susannah.
John Graves (+Susannah) was a farmer at Qusquo Hall Carlton 1841-1861 censuses and probably before then. He died 1868 age 73 and Susannah died 1872 age 80
Can you see a link from the cardinal to Susannah?
Susannah was one of my gt.gt. gms
Best wishes
KC     
Avery - Somerset & Yorkshire
Ashton - Lincs & Yorkshire
Graves - Yorkshire
Falkingham - Yorkshire
Earl - Cambs, Lincs & Yorkshire
Doubtfire - London & Yorkshire
Phillipson - Lincs & Yorkshire
Hanson - Nottinghamshire & Yorkshire

Offline genjunction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 July 06 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi KC

Thanks for replying.

When I read your email earlier this evening I had no link to your Susannah, but with a little bit of detective work I now have the link to Arthur from your side.

I started with Arthur and worked back and then a little sideways.

There is an uploaded tree for Arthur on a website but it has Arthur with wrong parents - they seem to have missed out a generation and have him as being born 30 years too early, just making him approx 113 when he died.

I'm still looking for the Hinsley / Randall link to tie up with my Siddle line - I may never find it but will while away the hours.

I will have to nip down the '62 and look around the churchyard.

I used to exhibit at craft and country fairs in the grounds of Carlton Towers and one of my many aquaintences lives in Carlton - so a journey is an up and coming MUST

Thanks again for getting back to me and if, sorry when, I find the link will let you know.

regards and happy hunting

Carol  :D
Siddle, Sklinar, Officer, Hebden, Riach, Younie, Mitchell aka McKandie, Algar, Wilkinson, Haverson, Mucklow,
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk

Offline genjunction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 20:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but regarding the up and coming trip to Carlton, well it did come off and was well worth while with Hinsley people in both the C of E and Catholic churchyards.

I put a lot of the images I took into a web photo album and that can be found at www.genealogyjunction.org.uk.

I also went into Hensall churchyard, just down the road from Snaith and wow!! a real catch for Hinsley folk.  Still have that album of the churchyard to do but that will also be found on the above link.

Wasn't able to match the Hensall Hinsley people up with the ones I was looking for but you never know as they are in such a close proximity to each other.

Happy Hinsley hunting

Carol
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk

Offline kcstadium

• RootsChat Senior
  • gf Henry Samuel Avery 1860-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol
Glad you finally made it and the Carlton visit was a success. Not sure about the 'Hensall churchyard' - didn't know there was one! You don't mean Snaith cemetery do you which is on the right going out of Snaith?? That's where my grandparents are buried.
Will have a look at your web photo album.
Best wishes
Bryan
Avery - Somerset & Yorkshire
Ashton - Lincs & Yorkshire
Graves - Yorkshire
Falkingham - Yorkshire
Earl - Cambs, Lincs & Yorkshire
Doubtfire - London & Yorkshire
Phillipson - Lincs & Yorkshire
Hanson - Nottinghamshire & Yorkshire

Offline pacificwa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 September 07 13:51 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Robert Hinsley is a third cousin to Cardinal Arthur Hinsley.  Robert Hinsley married Mary Ann Houseman.  Their son Robert Hinsley immigrated to Australia with his wife Miriam.  Their son Robert is my father.

Regards
Kaye

Offline genjunction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 September 07 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryan

Yes Hensall is just down the road from Snaith - infact between Snaith and Eggborough on the Gowdall Road.

As I said a real hotspot for Hinsley people - I thought Carlton Catholic churchyard was good, that was fantastic.  Now there is the problem of sorting them out into the family - that is if at all they do belong.

regards

Carol
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk

Offline genjunction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 September 07 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Kaye,

Thanks for the info regarding family in Australia, but you do not say who were Robert's parents.

I have quite a large collection of Hinsley people from Snaith, Carlton etc and a father's name and possible d of b could help me pin it down a bit.

Love to hear from you as would other Hinsley researchers

Carol   :)
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk

Offline pacificwa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 September 07 08:40 BST (UK) »
John Hinsley b Carlton not sure who he married had about 11 or 13 children, a number died young.  No other details available. Only know of son Robert.

Children of Robert Hinsley and Mary Ann Houseman are John Robert b 1878, Robert b 1883, George, Mary, Eliza Jane, Lavinia, Alfred, Annie, and Douglas, a number also died young. The family lived in Carlton in 1883 at Faxfleet, then in 1885 at Broomfleet.
Do not have any more information about the family in England.

Kaye