Author Topic: Hinsley family of Carlton / Snaith  (Read 12601 times)

Offline kcstadium

• RootsChat Senior
  • gf Henry Samuel Avery 1860-1942
    • View Profile
Re: Hinsley family of Carlton / Snaith
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 September 07 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi U2 Carol & Kaye
I've not really followed up on Hinsley's much other than Susannah's (1792-1872) parents John Hinsley (c1761) & Elizabeth Pheasant married 28.12.1784 Carlton.
You probably already know this but Carlton Juxta Snaith PR's are on Ancestry.co.uk under Yorkshire Parish Registers.
I've been browsing a bit but it's confusing with HinDsley coming up alot + John Snr and John Jnr that's if they are anything to do with John c1761.
In the PR's there is a baptism of John 21.12.1761 son of John Hindsley. Assume the John bpt 29.02.1759 also of John Hindsley died?
2 marriages are noted:-
17.11.1761 John Hindsley of Hirst par. Birkin & ELizabeth Lofthouse of Carlton
25.11.1761 John Hindsley labourer of Wistow and Mary Ambler of Carlton
Best wishes
Bryan
Avery - Somerset & Yorkshire
Ashton - Lincs & Yorkshire
Graves - Yorkshire
Falkingham - Yorkshire
Earl - Cambs, Lincs & Yorkshire
Doubtfire - London & Yorkshire
Phillipson - Lincs & Yorkshire
Hanson - Nottinghamshire & Yorkshire

Offline squarechick

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 August 08 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I believe I'm also related to the Hinsleys in this area - more specifically in the Carlton area just down the road from Snaith. If I am on the right lines I am also related to Cardinal Arthur Hinsley b. 1865 in Carlton son of Thomas and Bridget (nee Ryan who originated in Ireland).

I'm just starting out, but believe that my gg grandmother was a Veronica Hinsley born 1869 in Carlton to Frederick and Jane Hinsley (of Pollington). She was one of 5 children (Ada, Matilda, Rose A, Robert). She later married a Frederick Smith in 1902. I was hoping someone could bridge some gaps between Arthur Hinsley and Veronica?

Thanks

Offline kcstadium

• RootsChat Senior
  • gf Henry Samuel Avery 1860-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 August 08 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hello
This doesn't answer all the questions and you may already be aware but here goes:-
Frederick (father of Veronica) was born of George Hinsley & Mary both of Carlton. See Carlton 1851 census under George HEnsley with Frederick age 8. George was a joiner and later a joiner/farmer age 52 in 1861 Carlton Census RG9/3531/1/4
------------------------------------------
Thomas (father of Cardinal Arthur) is more complicated as earliest 1841 Carlton census HO 107/1281/15/9/10 has him living with George Hinsley & Elizabeth both 55.
Thomas in 1851 Carlton census HO107/2351/25/12 age 17 grandson and carpenter living with Elizabeth Hinsley wife 68 innkeeper - no sign of George. So basically don't know the parents of Thomas
-----------------------------------------
Baptisms in IGI's don't help, neither does Carlton juxta Snaith baptisms in Yorkshire Parish Registers (Ancestry.co.uk)
You may need PR's to prove the link if any - these are at Doncaster Archives.
Hope this kick starts you.
kc 
Avery - Somerset & Yorkshire
Ashton - Lincs & Yorkshire
Graves - Yorkshire
Falkingham - Yorkshire
Earl - Cambs, Lincs & Yorkshire
Doubtfire - London & Yorkshire
Phillipson - Lincs & Yorkshire
Hanson - Nottinghamshire & Yorkshire

Offline bannuttree

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 18:26 BST (UK) »
Carol - we have a Randall/Hinsley link and also possibly a Randall/Siddles one

Elizabeth Hinsley (born circa 1817 in Carlton) was the wife of Thomas Randall (Ireland) . She seems to have spent nearly all her life in Carlton.  Their children were Charles, Edward, William Henry, Sussanah and John born between 1834 and 1854. 

Charles married Elizabeth Bleasdale and had a son Albert Victor Randall, born 1888, who I think then may be the link to Siddles.

We, too, have a family story about there being a relative who went to Rome and became a Cardinal.

Be good to hear from you
Liz

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 July 10 16:00 BST (UK) »
hello all
i have hinsleys from carlton in my family tree mary ann hinsley married into our atack line in nearby campsall. never heard of cardinal hinsley but will have a look now.
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline Angela410

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 September 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.I too am related to the Hinsley's of this area. The Rose A that has been mentioned is my great gran and yes there is a definate link to cardinal Hinsley as my mum remembers my grandad speaking about him and how proud everyone was. I'm still linking things at the moment!!!

Offline Tim25

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 January 16 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, I moved into Carlton a year ago and had heard stories in my family about being related to Cardinal Hinsley (who I believe became the Prelate of the C Church in England). My brother has been researching our family tree and discovered our Great Grandfather, John Robert Hinsley, was his 1st cousin. I would be more than happy to hear from any local relatives.
Cheers
Tim25

Offline lowfield107

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all.

I have just moved into Carlton.

On convent walk (by the church), a house with a name (I believe informally) Hinsley Croft.

I would love to find out if indeed it’s a direct link as to if Arthur or his family lived here or whether it’s simply a nod to him.

The fact the address is convent walk seems too coincidental.

The house was built around 1840

Offline YramH

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 January 24 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my husband’s grandfather was George Margraves Hinsley, married to Gertrude Killingbeck, lived in Hensall and is also grave there.