Author Topic: Help deciphering occupation please  (Read 6479 times)

Offline OzKat

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
Help deciphering occupation please
« on: Wednesday 14 June 06 03:52 BST (UK) »
Much as I love  having access to the 1841 census now, I have so much trouble deciphering it. ;D
I would appreciate people telling me what they think this occupation says. Does it say "Vicar of Wandsworth" or am I way off the mark. :-\
Kath
... Morrison, Murphy, Lindsay, Jones, McClatchey, McCormick, Sheehan & more - Ireland ...
... Grant, Ross, Urquhart, Rorie, May, McDougall, Donaldson  & more - Scotland ...
... Percival, Hodson, Russell, Lavis, Moxey, Viney, White, Delaforce, Bayne & many more - England ...

Percival and McCormack Family History

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering occupation please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 June 06 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath :)
Yes, I think you're right.
I agree with you too that some of the 1841 handwriting is shocking   :o :o :o  but fun to try to work it out (or not... ;D )

Prue

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 June 06 14:49 BST (UK) »
                        worth     
Definitely Vicar of Wands

Great example of forward planning  :)

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 June 06 01:43 BST (UK) »
OzKat,

As it is such an unusual name, I guess you have Googled extensively.  Just in case -
there are several hits though I didn't find anything specifically about DC being Vicar of
Wandsworth.

A Google for "Daniel Charles Delafosse" got just one hit - it refers to a Deed about
the advowson of the parish of Shere; it reads "Following mortgages between
1788 and 1833, the advowson was sold to Cyril John Monkhouse on behalf of
Daniel Charles Delafosse in 1833".  ('Advowson' = The right in English
ecclesiastical law of presentation to a vacant benefice.  Shere was a parish in
Surrey.)

You have probably also seen references to the DELAFOSSE family in references
about Sir Richard BURTON; a Google for:
"charles delafosse" + "richard burton"
gets quite a few hits and they include the following quote:
"In 1832 Col. Burton brought them back to England, where, on the advice of an
old friend, he enrolled his sons in a school in Richmond run by Rev. Charles
Delafosse who was the chaplain to the Duke of Cumberland. The Richmond
Academy, run since 1764 by the Delafosse family, was situated in a mansion at
the corner of the Little Green and Duke Street ..."
The descriptions are not particularly complimentary about the school or Rev.
Charles (I wonder whether this was Daniel Charles or another member of the
family; perhaps DC as another site lists Delafosse the Rev. D. C. Richmond-
green
in a list of subscribers to British Fiction, 1820-1829).

Etc...

JAP

Offline OzKat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 06 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP

Thanks for the references and I had just started googling on this guy when I posted. A lot has been written about the various Delaforce families on the internet and otherwise (see Patrick Delaforce and Ken Baldry's book - The Delaforce Family History Research) but I had reached the point where I was trying to verify some of what had been provided to these fellows about our particular branch of the family Delaforce/Delafosse/De La Fosse/Delforce/and other variations. I am not comfortable that some of it is correct.

For instance this Daniel Charles Delafosse (bn Richmond, Surrey)  is listed as the brother of my husband's ancestor William Delafosse (bn Bermondsey, Surrey). The difficulty I have with this is that William is a labourer in the weaving business - a calenderer and calico glosser etc. The Delaforces had been strongly represented in silk weaving in London. And in fact his son is transported to Australia for stealing some clothing. But not knowing much about the next generation further back apart from the parents being known as Daniel Delafosse and Elizabeth (Betty) Peters and having a marriage date and place 1782 at St Brides in Fleet Street,  I find it a little hard to digest that this Daniel and our William could be brothers in the same family with such very different occupations. Not saying it is impossible but I would just feel more comfortable if I could find more proof. And as I said, I have only just embarked on this search.

There are some other relationships and details in this family tree that I find a little odd but I'll do a bit more researching on these areas before I say anything more.

The Charles you mention below is probably Daniel Charles Delafosse's son since in the 1851 census he is listed as the incumbent to St Mathias or somesuch (at work now and don't have detail). And yes, in 1851 Daniel Charles Delafosse shows up as the rector in Shere.

And yes the unusual name can make it difficult to work out who is who because it is almost invariably spelt differently across different references. Even once the Delaforces were in Australia, the name still kept getting mispelt (matter of opinion, I guess) - Delaforce, Deleforce, Delforce, Dalisford etc. And it doesn't stop with the surname. For one of the daughters in our line - Liscillier - I have found 16 variants on the first name so far across different documents.

Regards
Kath
... Morrison, Murphy, Lindsay, Jones, McClatchey, McCormick, Sheehan & more - Ireland ...
... Grant, Ross, Urquhart, Rorie, May, McDougall, Donaldson  & more - Scotland ...
... Percival, Hodson, Russell, Lavis, Moxey, Viney, White, Delaforce, Bayne & many more - England ...

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 June 06 07:27 BST (UK) »
Kath,

It sounds like a VERY interesting family - lets hope you keep us RootsChatters
informed!

Don't give up on spelling variants - there may be more to come!

On my one-name study for the not very common Scots surname "McLaws", I now
have something between 90 and 100 variant spellings - and that's just extracted
entries in the IGI for the UK and my own interpretations of UK census entries (not
some of the silly mis-transcriptions!).
If I venture into North American renditions, there are even more ...

All the best,

JAP
PS: Perhaps the "transported" chap was a black sheep?  Googling, it does
seem that all were French Huguenots and that all were connected - but such
origins have often turned into something different for at least some holders of a
particular name  :D
The brother of the very respectable ancestor of my children was sentenced to
7 years transportation for forgery and uttering.  Just a couple of weeks before he
was due to sail for VDL he was pardoned following a petition (though his conviction
certainly wasn't overturned).  All sorts of things happen in families ...  And the
"convict" came to Australia a couple of years later.  His brother a few years later
again.  The "convict" made a lot more money here than his brother!  As did another
brother who first came to Melbourne and then later to NZ.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 June 06 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes please do update us I have really enjoyed reading this thread.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OzKat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 June 06 04:11 BST (UK) »
Yes please do update us I have really enjoyed reading this thread.

I would love to keep people updated as and when I find anything out.  It is indeed an interesting family.

If anyone is interested, the book I referred to below can be found at http://www.art-science.com/Ken/Genealogy/PD/Index.html in an online version and pdf.

The convict ancestor is William Delaforce (1817-1900) http://www.australiahistory.com.au/1834-William_Delaforce.htm who is interesting in that he ghost wrote an account of his experiences called "The life and experiences of an ex-convict in Port Macquarie". There is also a diary attributed to him in an historical society publication I picked up in Port Macquarie but the style changes so dramatically in the middle I would love to find the original so I could see for myself. If both halves of the diary are written by the same person then that person forgot how to spell and write grammatically in his late twenties but was perfectly competant earlier on.

The Old Bailey accounts of the trial are also interesting as he had many witnesses saying he was at work and  a different place at the time of the crime. I know all the convicts claimed they were innocent but this account I found interesting. Maybe, in fact, he was innocent. They seem to have taken the account of one bystander and ignored all the others.

And JAP, I have followed a few of your posts about your McLaws from time to time. This must have been a very frustrating but interesting journey - trying to tie all the variations together.

Kath :)

Offline OzKat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 June 06 04:21 BST (UK) »
An addendum to my previous post - I can't help getting annoyed when I see all the mistranscriptions of this surname in the various census transcriptions and when I've searched for something for hours then found it in a completely different form.  :-\

The problem is, because I know what the name and its variants should be, it looks really obvious to me when I look at the originals. But the transcribers make "c"s into "d"s and all sorts of other variations. As I think I mentioned below, one entry which was clearly Delaforce turned into Dalisford when transcribed.

Sometimes I think the people just try to do it too quickly. I know when I've tried to transcribe I take too long.

So ... I know I shouldn't get annoyed but I just can't seem to help myself. ;)

Sorry to all those volunteer transcribers out there - I do know what it is like ... really. :)

Kath