Author Topic: Courts in Canada 1907-1912?  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
Courts in Canada 1907-1912?
« on: Wednesday 14 June 06 15:36 BST (UK) »
My grandparents, Edward and Ellen Court emigrated to Canada and lived in Montreal.  They married in England in 1907 and my uncle (Ronald Faulkner Court) was born in Montreal in 1912.  Picture on the left is the family in 1914.

My grandfather joined the Canadian army in 1914 and I have the copy of his attestatioin paper.  They returned home in 1915 although my g'father continued to serve with the CEF in Europe.  They stayed in Stratford on Avon for the rest of their lives.
I would love to know when they went.  It might be a clue if they are on the 1911 census.  Does anyone have searchable access to it please as I'm not sure where they lived and the prospect of looking through each sheet looks rather daunting?

Many thanks again

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Courts in Canada 1907-1912?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 06 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen,

Have you ordered your grandfather's full set of military papers? 

I'm not having any luck finding them on the 1911 census.

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 06 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

I haven't ordered them yet but have the address to do so.  Their address in 1914 was 340 Dandurand St, Rosemount.

Do you know what the charges are for the full records?

Thanks for all your efforts
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 06 16:02 BST (UK) »
They are .40 cents a page and they say an average file is about 25-75 pages.   Sometimes there is a wealth of information in them and could have some sort of clue.

I know for my gr-grandfather's my gr-grandmother had moved back to Birmingham and back again to Canada during the war (with 5 children in tow to boot) and each time it provided her address of where she was which was gold for me  :)

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 June 06 17:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Karen.  I will certainly be interested to read his record. I am soooo impressed with the Canadian National Archive Records.  I have looked at the diaries of the 2nd Heavy Battery which is where he enlisted and if he was still with them was able to see what they were doing on the day my father was born in 1916!

Thanks again
Ellen

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 03:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Elliebob,

Here is the complete collection of Lovell's Montreal Directories.  Use the expandable menus on the left to navigate.  (Start with "collection principale" - it's in English after that  ;D )

http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

Edward Court appears in the street directory at 340 Dundurand in 1913/14 and 1914/15, and in the alphabetical directory in 1914/15:

Court, Edward CPR emp 340 Dandurand

(CPR emp = employee of Canadian Pacific Railway)

Before that 340 Dandurand is occupied by someone else, and after that the address seems to disappear  :-\ 

Hope that helps!

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 00:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the info MJP.  I've got so far trying to view the pages and cannot seem to open the sections for each year - neither can I get it in English.  Am I being particularly stupid?  It is quite late and I shall try again tomorrow now.

Thanks again - I'm looking forward to seeing it and I know my father will be pleased.  He was born in 1916 after they came back from Canada.

Ellen