Author Topic: Henry WARDLE Macclesfield Look up Request  (Read 7030 times)

Offline cheshcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Henry WARDLE Macclesfield Look up Request
« on: Sunday 24 October 04 17:43 BST (UK) »
I recently obtained the wedding certificate of my gt gt gt grandfather Thomas Taylor who married Martha Knowles in 1845 at St Georges, Sutton, Macclesfield.  I was hoping to find out who Thomas Taylor's father was but when the certificate arrived I was very surprised to discover that Thomas's father was named as Henry WARDLE - silk manufacturer.  I think maybe Henry Wardle was Thomas's step father, and that perhaps Thomas's mother remarried.  I do not know Thomas's mother's name either.

I would be very grateful if someone would look up Henry Wardle perhaps in the 1841, 1851 and maybe 1861 census.  I know there was a prominent silk manufacturer and Lord Mayor of Macclesfield named Henry Wardle around the mid 1850s and I am wondering if this may be him.  Or was there perhaps more than one silk manufacturer named Henry Wardle at that time ?

If any one knows of any other reason why the father's surname on a wedding certificate should differ from the grooms surname then I would be pleased to hear about this.  I have even wondered if Thomas might just be an illegitimate son of Henry Wardle's ?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Carol Taylor-Cockayne
Notts UK ???
MACCLESFIELD - Heapy, Gallimore, Taylor, Stonier, Hampson, Redfern

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Henry WARDLE Macclesfield Look up Request
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 October 04 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol
            These are the details of Henry Wardle in 1851 census

HO 107-2160-F 515  Ivy Road Macclesfield

Henry Wardle   head  mar  52 Silk manufacturer & magistrate &alderman born Macclesfield
Susannah Wardle  wife       53                                 born Stockport

I am a Macclesfield exile and know a little about the Wardles, I believe Henry inherited the businness of his father (also Henry) & his uncle (Thomas). The mill was  Park Mill on Park Lane Macclesfield. His father was honoured by the officials of Macclesfield by naming a street after him. Wardle Street is still around today.

I had a look on the Cheshire Wills site and there are the wills of the Wardles which may be worth purchaceing, if Henry was the father of Thomas Taylor it is likely he would be mentioned, as there is a acknowledgement of him being the father in the  marriage certificate it was clearly no secret.
There was many Wardles in Macclesfield but only one Henry on the 1851. 

http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recoff/eshop/Wills/home.htm

I will have a search around the other census years to see what can be found.

regards

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline cheshcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 October 04 09:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Peter
Thanks for the information.  I have sent off for the will of Henry Wardle from the Cheshire site.  Do you know if it is possible to access the 1841 census for Macclesfield ?  I guess I should be looking for Thomas Taylor who may well have been living at home with his mother at that time.  Trouble is I do not know any of his siblings names.  On the wedding certificate in 1845 it just says Thos. was of full age.  Also I imagine there would have been quite a lot of Taylor families on the 1841 so its a bit like a needle in a haystack really.  Has anyone got any ideas how I can get around this ?

Thanks once again
Carol

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 October 04 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol
            I do have all the Cheshire cenus years except the 1861, the 1841 is the only one where there is no name index so its a matter of searching through the pages so please bare with me a day or two, I think I said in my last post that I would have a search around to see what can be found.
           I would be obliged if you can give me all the details from Thomas Taylors wedding certificate, witnesses, any addresses, and ages etc.

regards

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline cheshcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 October 04 17:42 BST (UK) »
Dear Peter
Thanks - I really appreciate your help.
Details from Thomas Taylor's wedding cerificate are as follows:-

Reg Dist - Macclesfield
1845 St George's Church - District of Sutton - County Chester?
No 305 May 4th 1845 
Thomas Taylor  Full Age Bachelor Silk Weaver Residence- Macclesfield Father - Henry Wardle - Profession of Father - Silk Manufacturer
Martha Knowles full age spinster Residence - Macclesfield - Father Ralph Knowles - Silk Weaver

Witnesses - Ralph Knowles  & John Taylor

I guess Ralph Knowles may have been bride's father - maybe bride's brother if she had one named Ralph ?
Don't know who John Taylor is I am afraid - possibly a brother of Thomas ?

Thank you
Carol Taylor-Cockayne

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 October 04 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol
            I have searched for Henry Wardle in 1841 in the area he was found in the1851 with no luck, I think I will wait until you have the will before commiting any more time to him.
           As for the Taylor and Knowles families I have the following in 1851

This is I think the father of Martha Taylor (Knowles)

HO 107-2160-f 151 Chester Road Macclesfield

Ralf Knowles head 58 hand loom weaver silk  born Derbyshire
Mary  ~         wife   56                                              Bakewell

HO 107-2160-F 428  Wells Okells Buildings Macclesfield

Thomas Taylor head 30 weaver and undertaker  Macclesfield
Martha             wife  32 hand loom weaver employing 3men Bakwell
Mary                 daug 2                                          Macclesfield
Alfred                son   1                                              ~
Sarah Hough           11 house servant           Gt.   Warford Ches

regards

peterbennett

Offline cheshcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 October 04 17:27 BST (UK) »
Dear Peter
Thank you so much - you have helped me find a new TAYLOR relative - namely Mary Taylor aged 2 in 1851 - didn't know about her till now so thanks for that.
Also very interesting info about Ralph KNOWLES occupation - looks like his daughter Martha worked with him, and Thos. Taylor as a weaver and undertaker - that's interesting !  Now have some ages to go from and yes it's them - the Bakewell connection is correct. 

As for Henry WARDLE - silk manufacturer -  I have now received his will and poured over it for ages.  It mentions loads of nieces and nephews of Henry Wardle - their surnames being TUNNICLIFF, COCKSIN ?, TEBBITT, JOINER ? but there is no mention of Thomas TAYLOR at all.  Looks to me like Henry Wardle and his wife Susannah did not have any children - there is no mention of any children as heirs to the will - only neices and nephews and brothers and sisters of Henry Wardle himself.   However, two of  Henry Wardle's brothers both had sons named Henry Wardle  - namely -Francis Wardle had a son named Henry Wardle and Thomas Wardle had a son named Henry Wardle. I wonder if either of these nephews of Henry Wardle could have been old enough to be step-father to Thomas Taylor ?

Looks like Thomas Taylor was born in 1821 if 1851 census is correct - if I could find some of Thomas Taylor's siblings then this would perhaps take me back to Thomas's parents.  How did Henry Wardle come into it ?  I'm flummoxed !  Anyway if anyone has an interest in the will of Henry WARDLE silk manufacturer of Macc. and the nieces and nephews named - please ask them to get in touch.  Witnesses to the will were: Thomas GUMSDITCH ? and William CHISWORTH - solicitors clerk.  Executors were John LIVESEY and Henry Wardle's brother Thomas Wardle.

Thanks for all your help
best wishes
Carol

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 October 04 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol
              OOPS
          Sorry there was nothing in the will, If you want to part with the will or a copy I would be only to pleased to buy it from you, it all helps with my Macclesfield research.
         Looking through the 1851 census there are a lot of Wardle families who could have had a Henry who died at some time prior to cival registration commencing in 1837,and possibly fathered Thomas, although the referance to silk manufacturer is puzzleing. There were many one man operations that worked from home in the early years of silk weaving,a lot would elevate themselvse to manufacturer on census record etc. There are so many possibilities,I will have to find time to search the 1841 and see what can be gleemed from it.
        With regards to Martha working for her father, I would say not, I think her and her husband would be working for themselves, proberbly being commisioned by the larger manufacturer, in the area of town where they lived was a conclomeration of self employed weavers working from garrat rooms or small weaving sheds, as for the undertaker, it seems at that time this occupation was a sideline for many people,I have seen a blacksmith & undertaker. It also would fit in well with the weaving of silk because of the connection with the making of shrouds and silk coffin linnings etc.

bye for now

peterbennett
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
][/color] 

Offline cheshcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 October 04 13:59 BST (UK) »
Dear Peter
Thanks for all the info - I am starting to think perhaps the only way is to find Thomas Taylor on the 1841 - hopefully living with his parents OR perhaps finding a parish record of his birth - I have looked on the LDS site without success.  If you do get time to search the 1841 for any Thomas Taylors of the right age I would be grateful but having seen the Nottingham 1841 it is a daunting tasks as the writing is often so faded and illegible.  If you do find time I would be grateful.

As for the will of Henry Wardle - yes you are very welcome to a copy.  I would prefer to post a copy to you so would need your address.  It is about 10 or 12 pages of very small writing with a number of codicils.  I do not think it would lend itself to scanning and emailing as any loss of quality would be  a further detriment.  Let me know how I can get a copy to you.

Carol