Author Topic: Replying to offers to Lookup BD & M  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Abbyrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Replying to offers to Lookup BD & M
« on: Thursday 15 June 06 12:21 BST (UK) »
I am a new user and cannot work out how I can ask somebody to look something up other than to send a personal message.

Can somebody please instruct me on how I post a message which will be added to the other requests for lookups to this user.

Thanks
Abbyrose ???
Tregoning, Dashwood, Stephens, Isaac, Savage, Baldwin, Battersby, Ward, Foots, Lucas, Armstrong, Rodgers, Mower, Phelan

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Replying to offers to Lookup BD & M
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 June 06 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Abbyrose,

Welcome to RootsChat.

If you are looking at an offer to look in certain resources, then you may not be able to reply.  Most of the offers are locked and requests for a look-up in a particular resource should be made in a new topic/message posted on the Look-up Board of that county or the general look-up request board.  This way topics are kept to the point and information does not get lost in lots of replies by many people about all sorts of different families.

So for a specific request, please start a new topic on the requests board stating clearly what information you have and what information you are seeking.  That way, you are likely to get an answer!

Hope that helps you.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 June 06 12:30 BST (UK) »
I see Nell has already answered - my pearls of wisdom are  not necessary!   Good luck.  I am sure someone will help.
Andrea

Offline Abbyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 June 06 12:33 BST (UK) »
Could you please help me by telling me where I find the look up board for the particular country that I am looking for?
Thanks
Tregoning, Dashwood, Stephens, Isaac, Savage, Baldwin, Battersby, Ward, Foots, Lucas, Armstrong, Rodgers, Mower, Phelan

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 06 12:45 BST (UK) »
If you look at the top of the screen, there is the RootsChat logo on the left.

Under that are some clickable links that look like elongated oval buttons, reading from left to right:

welcome, home, help, search rootschat, profile, calendar, chat and logout.

Click on home

You will now see a screen which has been divided up into countries:

England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Independent Islands  followed by General, Census Lookups/General Lookups, Occupation and One Name Interest, Family and Historic Documents, and Beginners

The counties are listed under the countries.  As you move your mouse over the words, you will see that they are links: they will be underlined and the mouse pointer changes to a pointing finger.

Click on the county you are interested in.

For English this will take you to another screen with boards for general queries, look-ups, offers, perhaps resources and maybe another for completed look-ups.

Chose the board on which you wish to place your post and clickthe link  to get there.  Click the button on the right hand side which says New topic  and type away in the box, just as you did when you started this topic.  If it ends up in the wrong place, a moderator can always move it for you  ;)

The titles at the top of boards with leaves beside them are also links - see what happens when you move the mouse over them.  This is another way to navigate.  Try clicking and see - I don't think you can break the site!

Good luck

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abbyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 June 06 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell
Thanks for your very detailed instructions on how to request lookups.  I have just one question - where do I find the boards for Australia?
Thanks
Abbyrose

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 June 06 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Abbyrose

If you follow the instructions Nell gave you above, under the country/ county boards you will see one called Emigrants and this is further subdivided into Emigrants to...including Australia.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)