Author Topic: Cronin - Ireland to Canada  (Read 8002 times)

Offline atth2o

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Cronin - Ireland to Canada
« on: Sunday 24 October 04 20:22 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any possible information on my Cronin family to be able to link back to Ireland.  This is all I know:  My grandfather was John Emmett Cronin.  His birth date was listed on an old Canadian passport as February 27, 1893 and was born in Peterborough, Canada.  He lived in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada later in his life and married Mary Lillian Clancy in around the 1920's.  Mary was born in Peterborough, Ontario also.  John's father is listed as Thomas Cronin on the next of kin line on his WW1 papers.  It does not say if Thomas was born in Ireland but I suspect so.  Family rumours say the family came from Cork Ireland.

Does anyone know how I can possibly get my first stepping stone into finding out more about my Cronin branch of my tree? ???  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attwater - Kent & London England (All spelling variations)
Goodwin - Kent & London England
Cronin - Ontario & Ireland
Clancy - Peter Robinson Expedition - Ontario, Canada & Rockmills, Cork, Ireland
Kenneally - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Redmond - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Shepley - Ontario, Canada & Lancashire, England

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Cronin - Ireland to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 November 04 09:18 GMT (UK) »
This is not much help Nancy, but the name Cronin occurs mostly in Counties Cork and Kerry.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline atth2o

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 November 04 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the hint Ticker.  Now you see why I need help.  Anything is appreciated.   :)

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 November 04 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the hint Ticker.  Now you see why I need help.  Anything is appreciated.   :)

No problem.  I'm only an 'expert' in Irish surnames because I have a book on them!  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 November 04 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
If you have found no Thomas Cronin in CAnada then you can search for his birth post 1864 in Ireland. The indexes are available in your local family centre.
His name should be on John's marriage papers too.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline atth2o

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 November 04 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Kated.   ;)  Unfortunately at this time I don't have the time to travel to a FHS.  I don't have their marriage certificate or the info needed to get one.  I think they were married in Peterborough, Ontario as this is where my mother was born but I am not sure of this.  I really don't know the first place to even look for birth marriage or death information in Canada when you don't know a date.  I may just have to put this line on hold till more information becomes available online.  Thanks for your time in answering my question. ;)

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 November 04 20:58 GMT (UK) »
send me what details of Thomas you have and will happily check the GRO in Dublin the next time I am in... if you think he was born before 1864 you are going to be dependant on Parish records and for that a parish would be needed... Cork city or County ?

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline atth2o

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 November 04 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Moscan,

Thank you for the kind offer but information is the problem.  The only link I have is the name found on my grandfathers WW1 papers.  His name was Thomas Cronin.  My grandfather was John Emmett Cronin born in Peterborough, Ontario on  February 27, 1893.  I don't know if Thomas, his father, was born in Canada or Ireland.  I don't even know his wifes name and if they married in Canada or Ireland.

Does anyone know how to get a birth certificate in Canada when all you have is a possible date from an old passport?  I think this would be my best source to find out who John's parents were.  If anyone has any other ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 November 04 21:14 GMT (UK) »
cannot help you on the Canada side but let me know if you get any other info and I can help on this side of the pond:)

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland