Author Topic: William and Alexander Savage  (Read 5057 times)

Offline Abbyrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William and Alexander Savage
« on: Friday 16 June 06 12:06 BST (UK) »
Would anybody be able to check to see whether they can find any information about William Savage (born c1839) and Alexander Savage (born c1840) who were born in Westmeath and who travelled to South Australia together in 1855 on the 'Agincourt'.
Thanks
Abbyrose  :)
Tregoning, Dashwood, Stephens, Isaac, Savage, Baldwin, Battersby, Ward, Foots, Lucas, Armstrong, Rodgers, Mower, Phelan

Offline twinkleberry

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William and Alexander Savage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 September 06 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Abbyrose

I'm in Adelaide and I saw the request on your site regarding Alexander and William Savage.  I was in the State Library yesterday and did a serch for some information re Alexander and William. The following is what I did manage to find:-

ARRIVAL FROM OVERSEAS.

Alexander Savage, occuption laborer, from Westmeath, single, aged 15 years and William aged 16 years, arrived in South Australia 4th December 1853 aboard the "Agincourt" ex Plymouth.

MARRIAGE

Alexander Savage aged 24 years, marital status not recorded, son of Robert Savage married 13th February 1866 to Sarah Ward, aged 23 years, marital status not recorded, daugher of John Ward at Wesleyan Chapel, Gawler River, District Barossa. reference book 66 page 317 symbol "A" denoting (1) The Registar has included additional information on this marriage record and/or (2) The Registar has made an amendment to information on this marriage record.

CHILDREN BORN TO ALEXANDER SAVAGE & SARAH WARD.

1. Eliza May born 27th September 1884 at Pekina, District Frome reference book 337 page 331

2. Hannah born 23rd December 1870 at Gawler River, District Barossa reference book 90 pge 220 symbol "A"

3. Henry Oliver born 14th December 1879 at Redhill, District Daly reference book 233 page 143

4. John Alexander born 7th August 1972 at Port Gawler, District Port Gawler reference book 112 page 264

5. Margaret Jane born 2nd August 1868 at Magill, District Adelaide reference book 65 page 287 symbol "E" denoting the Registar has found an error in the information on this birth reocrd.

6. Maud Mary born 25th February 1882 at Red Hill, District Galy reference book 345 pge 146

7. Robert born 30th December 1874 at Gawler River, District Barossa reference book 145 page 368

8. Sarah Ann born 9th April 1867 at Magill, District Adelaide reference book 51 page 314

9. Thomas Joseph born 18th September 1876 at Gawler River, District Barossa reference book 172 page 366

10. William James born 24th July 1878 at Gawler River, District Barossa reference book 203 page 375

MARRIAGE

William Saveage of full age, marital status not recorded son of robet Savage married 12th february 1867 to Anne Maria ward aged 18 years, single, daughter of John Ward at wesleyan Chapel, Magill, District Adelaide reference book 70 page 66  symbol "V" denoting the Registar has found a variation in the information above. (sometimes the variation is just a spelling difference)

I hope the above is of some interest to you.

Regards

"Twinkleberry"
Heather Hobbis 1949-2012

Offline twinkleberry

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 06 02:48 BST (UK) »

Continuing information re the Savage brothers.

DEATHS

1. Alexander Savage aged 74 years of Prospect died 11th June 1914 at Adelaide, informant not recorded, District Adelaide referenc ebook 384 page 377 symbol "H" denoting Alexander died in a hospital.

2. John Alexander aged 5 years of gawler River died 22nd Novembr 1877 at Gawler River son of Alexander Savage District Barossa. reference book 83 page 362

3. Robert aged 2 years and 10 months of Stone Hill, Gawler River, died 19th November 1977 son of Alexander Savage, District Barossa reference book 83 page 335

4. Sarah aged 73 years of Prospect died 8th May 1915 at Prospect, widow of Alexander Savage District Adelaide reference book 392 page 454

5. William James ged 5 weeks of Gawler River died 2nd Septembr 1878 at Gawler River, son of Alexander Savage District Barossa. reference book 89 page 352

Hoping the above is of some interest to you.

Regards

"Twinkleberry"
Heather Hobbis 1949-2012

Offline Abbyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 September 06 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Twinkleberry

Thanks again for the information you have been able to find.  Having done a few calculations and checked the information I already have, I am certain the information you have found regarding the deaths of Alexander and Sarah Savage and their family and the marriages of both Alexander and William ARE all details about my family.  I do not think, however, that the arrival from overseas information about William and Alexander Savage is about my ancestors as the ages at the time of travel do not match the ages at the time of marriage.

I found some information that I found in the SA Maritime Museum over 25 years ago - when I first started to trace my tree.  In that information I found a William Savage (16) and Alexander Savage (15) who arrived from Plymouth on 2/12/1855 on the Royal Albert.

If it is possible to check to see whether this information is correct, I think the dates will match up better with the birthdates of the William and Alexander that you have provided the other information for.

Once again, thank you so much for the information you have found so far.  I look forward to hearing from you again.

Kind regards
Abbyrose :D
Tregoning, Dashwood, Stephens, Isaac, Savage, Baldwin, Battersby, Ward, Foots, Lucas, Armstrong, Rodgers, Mower, Phelan