Author Topic: WILLIAM HENRY TYSON (BS) Born France 1831-3  (Read 8777 times)

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM HENRY TYSON (BS) Born France 1831-3
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The 1891 census is not clear whether it says Lewis or Louis - both possible.

However, like Manchester Rambler, I think 'British Subject' means he wasn't French...

'Cailas' is apparently what he told the enumerator in 1881 1861 (sorry)... or what the enumerator made of it  ;) 

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IanLambert

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks

The 1871 census is confusing as all the details apart from country of birth  (& possibly occpn) of William are the same as the 1891 census. The birth dates move on 10 years as you would expect for Martha & the children

Could the USA be an error perhaps ? 
Lambert (Suffolk, Hertfordshire & Cheshire). Tyson (Salford & Calais, France), Hodson (Salford, Cleethorpes & Grimsby), Hanson (Shropshire, Wirral & Canada) Clarke & Greening (Worcs), Knight (Hants), Taylor & Peacock (Cheshire, Lancs & Gloucestershire) Gresty (Warrington, Lancs) Beaver-Jones (Canada)

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 11:19 BST (UK) »
Sure ... it could ... but I don't know how we could check it  :-\  :-\ 

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline IanLambert

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 11:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tanja

I suspected as much

Firstly I am going to obtain birth cert for daughter Martha (b 1870) She is the first one we have been able to track down although the 4th child, to find out her mother Martha's maiden name and take it from there ?   See if I can find marriage of William to Martha next..... ?   Could be Lverpool or Salford or in between ?   (coincidence ? that Kate was born Ormskirk which is not far from Liverpool either - I also havwe MANY relatives near there - the Hansons )

I might also have a trip to both Manchester library and Salford to investigate further as they are not far away from me

Thanks again

Ian 

Lambert (Suffolk, Hertfordshire & Cheshire). Tyson (Salford & Calais, France), Hodson (Salford, Cleethorpes & Grimsby), Hanson (Shropshire, Wirral & Canada) Clarke & Greening (Worcs), Knight (Hants), Taylor & Peacock (Cheshire, Lancs & Gloucestershire) Gresty (Warrington, Lancs) Beaver-Jones (Canada)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 15:02 BST (UK) »
Calais makes sense if the family were lace-makers:

http://www.theotherside.co.uk/tm-heritage/background/lace.htm

This would have then been an English family (high probability they were from Nottingham, also) who had come and settled in France in the early 1800s, and for some reason your William came back to England (his parents had died and he had family back there maybe?)

If you have access to an LDS center (there is one in Manchester) you could get quite a lot of info through there.  They have copies of some information from the Manchester archives; the films you'd probably want to order would be:

FHL BRITISH Film
1818059, which covers:

CALAIS index to baptisms, marriages, burials, 1817-1878 Baptisms, 1817-1878; burials, 1819-1878; marriages, 1818-1872 HAVRE baptisms, marriages, burials, 1817-1863 PARIS baptisms, burials, marriages, 1784-1809

And if not there (that film is for records kept by the British of their citizens in France), then in the records kept by the French authorities (etat civil), the LDS have both the ten-year indexes and the originals.  Addresses for the centers and the film catalogue are both on www.familysearch.org

These take a few weeks to come through so perhaps when you're going to Manchester library visit and order the films and then come back to view them when they arrive.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IanLambert

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your information, it is extremely helpful

I will follow this up

Ian

Offline IanLambert

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 10:55 BST (UK) »
Some more possible progress on the Tysons

On the 1881 census I looked up Samuel Brandon (Horse Hair drawer b Bristol c 1859) who married Martha's eldest daughter Elizabeth

I found them at 56 Nelson Street, Mcr but interestingly Elizabeth is down as 'LILY' and her birthplace is Liverpool not Manchester as was stated on the  1871 census.  This could mean that Martha / (& Kate - possibly William's first wife)  & Elizabeth (Lily ?) were in Liverpool around 1871 but we don't know their surname then - Still need probably Martha Tyson junior's (b circa 1870) birth cert to give us Martha's maiden name then we can back track).

Is Elizabeth (Lily ?) then Martha's daughter prior to meeting William Henry Tyson who was perhaps married to Kate first - The plot thickens   

1851 census for Salford is missing but is there one for Liverpool for 1851 to show a William Henry Tyson (b France 1831/3)  there ??

Ian

Offline IanLambert

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 10:59 BST (UK) »
I am only looking for 1871 Liverpol in case there were two William Henry Tysons born France as of course we have a William Henry Tyson with Martha,  Elizabeth & Mary Jane & daughter Martha at 6? Elias St. Mcr

(Although details of William occpn & birthplace of New York are inconsistent)

Ian

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 11:05 BST (UK) »
Honest, Ian - I would have given you the info if I had found other possible Williams born France on any census ;D

Wonder if somebody else can spot another one ...

Tanja  :)

I'm afraid of no ghost