Author Topic: Kelton Parish Records Question SMITH  (Read 5516 times)

Offline sammidav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kelton Parish Records Question SMITH
« on: Saturday 17 June 06 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi I have just been searching the parish records for Peter Smith 1805 from kelton, Dumfries.  I looked at the lists of what was available and it seemed fairly complete - but have found very few Smiths from this time. Kelton was also listed under Kircudbright - does that means there are 2?  Does anyone know if there are 2 Keltons and where does Kelton, Dumfries correspond to today?
Feeling like I have come to a standstill as soon as I have started!
Sam
Dawson, Abraham, Duck, Dolphin, Bromley, Milnes
Elwell, Gorst, Smith

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Kelton Parish Records Question SMITH
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 06 14:45 BST (UK) »
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/KKD/Kelton/index.html

The only Kelton I'm aware of is in Kirkcudbrightshire (which now forms part of Dumfries and Galloway).

If you use multimap...
http://www.multimap.com/

Search for Kelton and you will see it on the B725 on the River Nith north of Glencaple.

You will see Mouswald on the same map result to the East, that sits at the edge of Dumfriesshire as was.

On the Genuki page at the top you'll see the record dates.  One thing to note, if a range of 1800 to 1820 is given that just refers to the first date and the last date in the book.  It doesn't say how complete the records are judged to be.

In Annan for example I've found the 1820s very patchy with ill written entries.

Have a look at the church history on the genuki page.  It gives information about dissenters having a meeting place in Crossmichael.  Could be a reason for missing records in the local parish church.

Hope this helps,
Pam

Cross Reference to thread...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,163821.0.html
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline sammidav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 06 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, just to clarify I now think the Kelton is on the Nith south of Dumfries and is not in the Kircudbright area.
Samantha
Dawson, Abraham, Duck, Dolphin, Bromley, Milnes
Elwell, Gorst, Smith

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Kelton parishes
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 July 06 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi SammiDav

In terms of the census information there are two Keltons- or perhaps a third - it depends how you view it.  I've spent quite some time viewing the census for the 19th century for Kelton.

Kelton is an area - as much as I can make out - around the Castle Douglas area which at that time was Dumfries.  There is also an area near the sea/inlet in the parish of Caeverlock known as Kelton.  To make matters worse there is an area known as Kelton Hill (or Rhonehouse) which is also very near Castle Douglas.  It may be that Kelton and Kelton Hill of the Castle Douglas area are woven together as one.  I have to admit the question of is it Dumfries or Kirkcudbrightshire still puzzles me yet. 

If you go in to the Dumfries and Galloway census 1851 and put Kelton as the address you will see what I mean.   

I've got quite a few census for the Kelton area and will look out for any surname Smith for you.

Yours J.A
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline Callywoods

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 July 06 17:16 BST (UK) »
I live in a neighbouring parish to the parish of Kelton which always has been in the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, or was until Dumfriesshire, Kirkcudbrightshire and Wigtownshire became the region of Dumfries and Galloway a few years ago.
There is a small hamlet called Kelton to the south of Dumfries. This may have led to the confusion that caused Scotland's People to list Kelton under Dumfries. They are WRONG!
Kirkcudbrightshire : McMurray/ie, Haining, Hanning, McAdam, McClune.
Ayrshire: Livingstone
East Lothian: Anderson