Author Topic: Family of Daniel Mullins - HELP!  (Read 5960 times)

Offline kesaunders79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Family of Daniel Mullins - HELP!
« on: Sunday 24 October 04 22:38 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any ideas how I can proceed with my Irish Family History? I have my 3 x Great Grandparents marriage cert, Margaret Mullins married Thomas Robinson 1874 Walworth, St Saviour, Surrey and they lived Deptford afterwards.  I have found Margaret with her parents on the 1871 census for Deptford where she is the correct age of 16, born Liverpool, Lancashire.  Her parents are Daniel & Hanorough Mullins aged 61 & 60 respectivley.  He is a boilermaker as linked up with the marriage certificate of Margaret in 1874. They were both born in Ireland. I have the death certificate of Hanora Mullins of the same address in 1876 when her daughter registed the death, H Derbyshire.  I have traced the marriage of Hannah Mullins to James Derbyshire in Deptford 1871. I've found what looks like my family in the Deptford 1861 census, but there are some oddities.  Margaret aged 6 place of birth England Not Known, Hannah Mullins aged 9 born Ireland, Bridget Mullins aged 21 born Ireland.  The Head looked abrreviated to Dl H Mullins (Daniel?) aged 15? a bootmaker and his wife Ellen? Mullins aged 20 born Ireland who are living with their daughters as listed above.  As you can see the ages do not add up at all.  I've located Hannah in 1881 & 1891 census for Greenwich where she is stated as being born in Cork, Ireland.  Is there a way of getting her baptism details? I realise that the birth dates would be before Irish Registration. I cannot find Margarets birth certificate and am guessing the family came over from Ireland to Liverpool where Margaret was born before they came down to Deptford.  Oral family history says they were originally from Killarney, Ireland.

If anyone has any bright ideas, I would most welcome them!  :D
Saunders, Curnow, Willcocks, Ginno, Hatt, Pleming, Mutton, A'lee, Robinson, Mullins, Reed, Dingle, Elphick, Shepherd, Rogers, Dyer, Pomeroy.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Daniel Mullins - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 October 04 23:57 BST (UK) »
Not much help perhaps, but the Mullins name was originally from Counties Clare and Cork
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 04 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I would look for the MULLINS in the Griffiths Valuation for Co Cork. This was taken between 1851 and 1853 when they still may have been in ireland. There are links to some online resources on my website.

Once you have a parish you can check parish records for the family.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline kesaunders79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 04 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kate,

I found one reference to Mullins in Cork with these details but i'm confused about what it is I need to pay for to find out anything.  Can you help me here please????

County   CORK   
Local Authority CORK CITY COUNCIL   
District CITY HALL
Electoral Division CITY HALL A
Townland SUNDRY TOWNLANDS
Estate 
Street GAS WORKS ROAD
Occupier Name MULLINS
Trading As 
Immediate Lessor WILLIAM CARROLL
Property Number 180365
Property Type Domestic
Description HOUSE 
Lot Number 19
Commercial RV € 6.35
Issue Date 
List Status LR (List Rateable) 

Thank you ,
Kieran
Saunders, Curnow, Willcocks, Ginno, Hatt, Pleming, Mutton, A'lee, Robinson, Mullins, Reed, Dingle, Elphick, Shepherd, Rogers, Dyer, Pomeroy.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 04 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I see 3 households in Cork headed by Daniel MULLINS in the Griffiths Valuation.

1 in Forahanagown Ballyvourney north cork
one in Inches Kilcatherine west cork
one in Ballyglassin Killeagh east cork

See http://members.cox.net/hayes1966/griffiths.htm to search for them.
Where is your MULLINS info from?

Kate

Offline kesaunders79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 November 04 20:24 GMT (UK) »
oops!   :P   I followed the link on your web site to the valuation office!

Thank you for looking.  So using this info what can I do now to find out more and whether one of these Daniels is mine? Would you recommend writing to the Church in each place for info. to see if they have a Hannah baptised there, daughter of Daniel & Honora?  Sorry but this is a bit new to me, Irish research, and i'd love to find out more on them.

Thank you for your help again

Kieran

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 November 04 23:46 GMT (UK) »
YOu do have to go to parish registers. Do you know the religion?

You need to find the name of the catholic or Anglican parish. Try the townland database link from my website. Then for catholic registers, look at the National library website. Some parish registers are on film at your local family history centre. Most are just held locally or at the National Library in Dublin. Anglican registers are a tougher nut to crack and many were destroyed in the 1922 registry office fire.
Either way, you need a good idea of the year spread to search or it could take a long time.

Or make a trip over - holiday!

Or pay a researcher!

Kate

Offline kesaunders79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Oh Kate i'm so confused  ???, I think I might need to hand over to you now as you obviously know more about these things than I ever will!  Can I send you what i've got and arrange a few hours paid research?

Thanks

Kieran  :-\