Author Topic: Titchfield Parish Registers - Chiddle  (Read 924 times)

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Titchfield Parish Registers - Chiddle
« on: Monday 19 June 06 13:22 BST (UK) »
I would be very grateful for a lookup of the baptism of Ann Chiddle at Titchfield.

Various censuses place her date of birth as between 1790 and 1797, and the IGI shows that she married John Handey(Hendy) at Titchfield in 1810.

Any information regarding her parents would also be appreciated.

Many thanks

David

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Titchfield Parish Registers - Chiddle
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 August 08 19:41 BST (UK) »

David - hello

You may already have this information now, since I realise this request is quite old, but - anyway  :)   I have a copy of bishops transcripts for Titchfield 1780 - 1812.  I have looked for your Ann Chiddle - and I can't see one between 1790 and 1797.

There are about 3 Chiddle families in Titchfield at the time - John and Jane;  John and Anna/Hannah ; Richard and Mary, and later a Thomas and Jane.

The only one of these to have baptised a daughter Ann in Titchfield in the 1780 - 1800 period seems to have been John and Anna /Hannah:

Ann Chiddle 5 Oct 1783 dau of John and Anna Chiddle.

You may feel this is too early ?  Their other children in that time period were William Nov 1881,  and Joseph 1886.   ( Joseph Chiddle went on to marry Ann Cawte who was sister of my 2 x great grandmother  :)  )

I couldn't see a marriage for John and Anna / Hannah, the records I have only date from 1780.

Hope this helps  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Titchfield Parish Registers - Chiddle
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 August 08 18:23 BST (UK) »
Dear Mum44

Many thanks for your very kind help. I haven't looked at this for a while now, as I got no further with it.

Ann Hendy (nee Chiddle)'s age was given as 74 in the 1871 census, 70 in 1861, 57 in 1851 and 45 in 1841.  She was also reported as being aged 78 when she died in 1871. These give possible birth dates of 1797, 1790,1794, 1792-6 and 1793, which does make me think that 1783 is just too early. I wonder if the date could have been wrongly transcribed? I guess I will probably need to have a look at the parish registers to find out. In the meantime, I'm sure Ann must belong to one of the Chiddle families you have mentioned, so your information is very welcome.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact me.

Regards,

David