Author Topic: history of ince blundell  (Read 6738 times)

Offline fanakerpan24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
history of ince blundell
« on: Monday 19 June 06 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for people from Ince Blundell area to help with my family research by giving me some information about the history of the area. I have looked on the internet and there is limited info.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline scouse_mouse_2000uk

• RootsChat Senior
  • G Grandparent's Lewis
    • View Profile
Re: history of ince blundell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 June 06 21:50 BST (UK) »
History
The name Ince comes from Hinne a celtic word meaning island. This name bears evidence to Ince Blundell lying on a sandy ridge in the Alt valley a place that in the past had been marsh.

Built in 1720 Ince Blundell Hall was the home of the Blundells of Ince, who became the Weld-Blundells until 1959. It is now a nursing home run by the Canonesses of Saint Augustine.

Today
The local Pub called the Weld Blundell is on the A565.

Ghosts
Ince Woods, through which the A565 passes, is said to be haunted by the ghost of a woman killed nearby, the ghost is known as the Grey Lady. If you drive through the woods at midnight on a certain night of the year, she will appear in the road, outside a large round house, forcing the driver to crash their car. As with most legends of this type, it's probably nothing more than playground gossip.

I am researching the following names.....Owen/s-Holyhead, Rimmer/Lewis-West Derby, Wood/s/Hayter-Toxteth

Offline PamH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: history of ince blundell
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for people from Ince Blundell area to help with my family research by giving me some information about the history of the area. I have looked on the internet and there is limited info.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi
I have just pulled this link off the net, hope it helps.   ???

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=41296

I have visited Ince-Bludell many times and it is a lovely village, feels nice and homely.

Pam
Ainsworth, Meletto/Milito/Maletto-Bolton, <br />Blackmore- Widnes, Radcliffe, Devon.<br />Boyes- Devon, Kent.<br />Bradley- Windle, Sefton<br />Fisher- Blackburn, St Helens<br />Greenhalgh- Bury, Radcliffe, USA<br />Hennefer/Hennifer/Henefer/Henneford- Bolton, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Worc, Warw,<br />Kenwright- Widnes, Runcorn<br />Knowles- Sefton, Formby<br />Sutton- Homer Green, Sefton, Lunt, St Helens, Formby<br />Thompson- St Helens<br />Thrush- St Helens, Yorks.<br />Ware-Devon, Surrey