Author Topic: Anyone from Dye, Ferguson,Carney,Sullivan family's in Dundee??  (Read 5372 times)

Offline kaka32

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone from Dye, Ferguson,Carney,Sullivan family's in Dundee??
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne,
I've just found you and I think we must be related ;D
 My grandfather was Patrick Cairnie and had 6 brothers: Stephen, Finlay, John, Hugh, Charles and James( ?) and a sister Ann that died young.  I think you must be a daughter of either Nan or Cathie ?. My granddad Patrick married Mary Ann, they had three sons Francis, James ( killed in action in WW2) and my dad John. We recently found the war letters from James and have published them in a book. Would love to share this with you!
Kathryn

Offline annebrod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 November 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Kathryn.
Yes, we are part of the same family!  I am only aware of my grandfather, Finley, being one of 6 brothers. I never knew there was a girl called Anne🤔. My mother was Anne (Nan) Cairnie ( married name Broderick), and her sister was Catherine (Cathie) Cairnie, married name Carr.  Looks like those two names, Anne and Catherine have continued on through the generations - I am Anne and one of my sisters is Catherine😊( not your spelling). My mum died in 2004 and my Auntie Cathie a few years later. They are both buried in Dundee though Mum lived most of her married life in Manchester, where I was born. My brother, Stephen (another of the family names☺), my sister Catherine and I were all up in Dundee in late September for Mum's anniversary. I live in Perth, Australia, so can't make it every year, but my brother and sister go annually. I even discovered, earlier this year, another Anne Cairnie, living in St Bride's (?) Parish, Dundee, who is also part of our family.
I am one of 5 children, my older brother, John, lives in Germany, both my sisters, Catherine and Julia live in Manchester, and Julia's twin brother, Stephen lives in Norfolk.
I have 4 children, and 7 grandchildren all living in Perth, Western Australia, though I am still here in UK on holiday staying with my sister, Catherine.
Lovely to hear from you.
Kind regards
Anne

Offline kaka32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 November 18 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,
I was so excited to get your response thank you!.
I've just made up a family tree and can now place you and your brothers on to it too ;). I have three sisters, Eileen, Joan and I live in Dundee and my sister Norma lives in Germany ( Black forest) - not sure where your brother John lives? I have two daughters Julia and Anna, I didn't know they were they were both family names!! I'm having a little meet up this Sunday to celebrate the launch of the book of the war letters of my uncle James ( Patricks son) and have tracked down a couple of 'Cairnies' who are coming along.i.e. Cathie and Margaret who were Hugh's daughters. They would both be your mums and my dads cousins. If you are still in the UK and can manage up to Dundee then please come into the Queens hotel on Sunday at 2pm! Thanks again for getting in touch Anne, I really appreciate it
Kind regards
Kathryn

Offline annebrod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 November 18 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Kathryn.
Thanks for the invite but unfortunately I am unable to get there😕.
M grandfather, Finlay, also went off to Ypres in WWI with the Black Watch Highlanders and suffered mustard gas poisoning. He lived until 1962, in Dundee.  I may have met (?) Our two relations, Cathie and Margaret, several years ago in Nosey Parkers,  Queens Hotel!  My older brother, John, lives in Stuttgart, Germany.
Good luck for Sunday. Would loved to have caught up with all of you. Especially as I have photos from my grandfather's time with people in it that I can't identify.  One day...
Kind regards
Anne

Offline kaka32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 November 18 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne,
Aww that's too bad but perfectly understandable! I'm looking forward to catching up with Cathie and Margaret and will mention our chat to them on Sunday.
 Interesting that your Grandad Finlay was in WW1 in the Black watch. My Grandad Patrick ( Finlays brother) was too, and he died in 1962. I also have some contact with Hugh's grandsons and have invited them on Sunday but not heard back yet.
My sister Norma has come over from Germany for this occasion and she tells me that she lives near Stuttgard and visits it often, she'd love to meet up and have a chat with your brother. Let me know if he'd be interested and I can PM her details to you to pass to him.
 Kind regards
Kathryn

Offline John Bax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 December 18 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Elizabeth, I have a Ferguson from Dundee in my family. Jean Ferguson, born 04 Sep 1791. Father John and Mother Jean Milln (or Miln). She married my Gr. Gr. Grandfather, James Baxter. Her father & mother had 7 children including Jean; all born in Dundee.

John