Author Topic: Revellio/Revellis: Germany to England  (Read 745 times)

Offline Mary2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Revellio/Revellis: Germany to England
« on: Thursday 22 June 06 23:57 BST (UK) »
I'd be most interested in any comments on this name. It belonged to my German great-grandmother, Frederike. She appears in the 1891 Census in Kent, three months before her marriage to John Rouse and must, therefore, have migrated between 1872-1891. Her surname has been mistranscribed as Revells and elsewhere as Revellis, while her Christian name has been misspelt. (By the 1901 Census she was using her other name of Louisa). My limited research on this surname, which doesn't sound very Germanic to me, locates other Revellios, including an entry that could be my g.grandmother and her parents, in Wuerttemberg. I do understand that at that time, what we call Germany was not yet fully formed. I've been hoping to find other Revellios in England at this period and got very excited when I discovered these same parents with three more siblings, plus a large number of German families, in a town in Derbyshire in an LDS entry. Unfortunately, I've been shown that these records are erroneous.  I have also failed to find any other records of the siblings. I'm beginning to wonder whether she came to England alone, although that's contrary to my understanding of the times.
  The name intrigues me, but also any comments that might help my research would be gratefully received. :)

Offline Mary2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Revellio/Revellis: Germany to England
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 06 01:17 BST (UK) »
I'm replying to my own message because I've just received some really helpful information from another source. :)