Author Topic: Radnorshire 1841 census lookup  (Read 7428 times)

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Radnorshire 1841 census lookup
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 March 07 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I'm so happy!!!!!! Established beyond any doubt whatsoever last Thursday in Powys Archives that my mob were indeed the Thomas family who once owned not only the shop in Penybont but who also later established the Central Wales Emporium in Llandrindod Wells! Found the missing baptism of the younger William in Llandegley in 1812, which I'd previously overlooked, which ties in with the subsequent baptisms of the other six children, including my g-g-grandfather, Theophilus Thomas, and a daughter, indeed called Fortune, whose baptism I also discovered last Thursday, quite a few years later than the rest of the children. Wasn't able to locate the baptismal record for their father, also called William, who gives his place of birth in the 1851 Radnorshire census as Llanbister, a neighbouring parish to Llandegley, circa 1780, but will keep looking.

Mike
Thomas (Radnor & Carmarthen), Evans (Radnor, Carmarthen & Monmouth), Jones (Radnor & Brecon), Jenkins (Radnor), Arthur (Radnor), Griffiths (Glamorgan), Richards (Glamorgan), Phelps (Monmouth), Probert (Brecon), Davies (Brecon), Holmes (Monmouth), Hunt (Oxon), Davis (Oxon & Bucks), Ridgeway (Oxon), Church (Bucks), Cordani (Italy).

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 March 07 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Powys FHS transcription ol Llanbister parish Registers
November 24th 1779, William, son of John and Sarah Thomas was baptised by Mr David Lloyd.
BUT, there's a near identical entry for the corresponding week of November in the previous year. So either two identical families or someone trying to fill the registers in along time after the event, or maybe  he was baptised twice. (Nov 24th 1779 seems to have been a Wednesday.)

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 March 07 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Now how did I miss that one? I think I must have gotten it into my head somehow that I was looking for the baptism of William, son of a William Thomas, thinking that I'd seen that name on the poster of the three generations of Thomases. One thing is niggling at me, however, namely the length of time which seems to have elapsed between William's birth and his baptism. In the 1851 Radnorshire census he gives his age as 71, which if my maths is correct, would mean that he was born circa 1780. I know that frequently there could be a considerable gap between a child being born and baptised, but nine years seems an awfully long time. The impression I get from this branch of my ancestors also is that they were, or indeed later became, a quite well-to-do family, so wouldn't it have been common practice for them to have their offspring baptised quite quickly?

Mike   
Thomas (Radnor & Carmarthen), Evans (Radnor, Carmarthen & Monmouth), Jones (Radnor & Brecon), Jenkins (Radnor), Arthur (Radnor), Griffiths (Glamorgan), Richards (Glamorgan), Phelps (Monmouth), Probert (Brecon), Davies (Brecon), Holmes (Monmouth), Hunt (Oxon), Davis (Oxon & Bucks), Ridgeway (Oxon), Church (Bucks), Cordani (Italy).

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 March 07 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I mistyped the year. Corrected it now.

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 March 07 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Oh good-o!!!! Without wishing to appear cheeky, how far back do the Llanbister transcripts go to which you evidently have ready access? According to the list I have from Powys Archives, Llanbister PRs actually commence in 1704/5. Would it be too much trouble for you to check for a possible marriage of a John and Sarah Thomas and even possibly their births, which I'm anticipating may have occurred some time in the 1750s? Apologies if it seems as if I'm taking advantage, but as I'm working full-time it will be at least another month now before I'm able to get back over to Llandrindod to try and make further progress, and I've really got the bit between my teeth now!

Mike 

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 March 07 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Llanbister seems to be rich in Thomas families.
John Thomas's were christened in 1733, 1734, 1746 and 1753.
Couldn't find his marriage.

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 March 07 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. Guess I'll have to fall back on the one additional piece of information which I've gleaned from another posting which may prove crucial, namely that the William baptised in 1779 may well have had a brother called James; don't know whether that will get me anywhere! Theophilus, William's son and my g-g-grandfather, is with James and family in Brilley, Herefordshire, on the 1841 census. James and his wife, Ann, are detailed as not being born in the county.

Mike