Author Topic: Mofside, Canonbie  (Read 3457 times)

Offline David Frost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mofside, Canonbie
« on: Sunday 25 June 06 13:07 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with the location of Mofside? My G/G'mother's marriage certificate (Australian) shows her birthplace as Mofside, Canonbie, Scotland. I don't know if it was a farm name or town. I have visited many websites to no avail. The only lead I got was to a "Mosside" (suggested old spelling) near Stewarton which drew a blank. Her name was Ellen Wylie b. 14/3/1844
Frost,Hutchings,Wylie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Mofside, Canonbie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 June 06 22:25 BST (UK) »
I think you are on the right track with Mosside. This looks like Ellen and family in the 1851 Census Index at www.dumgal.gov.uk/historicalindexes/census.aspx:

WYLIE Ellen, age 7, daughter of William, born Canonbie Dms
WYLIE John, age 3, son of William, born Canonbie Dms
WYLIE Margaret, age 28, wife of William, born Canonbie Dms
WYLIE Margaret, age 5, daughter of William, born Canonbie Dms
WYLIE Thomas, age 5 months, son of William, born Canonbie Dms
WYLIE William, age 29, Farm Servant, born Canonbie Dms

Address: Mosside(814)
Parish: Canonbie
Household No: 10/25

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 June 06 22:44 BST (UK) »
To find it on an old map have a look at www.old-maps.co.uk/

From the Gazetteer, on the left hand side just key in the following Grid Ref: 338708,575870 and click on the co-ordinate button and then search. This will take you straight to the map of Mosside in Canonbie. You can navigate around, magnify in/out and also view a modern map of the area.

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline David Frost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 June 06 23:07 BST (UK) »
Monica thank you so very, very much. My family can't believe you have hit the nail on the head so quickly after all the searching we have done. We do get rather confused out here in Australia when searching overseas records.
Kind regards, David
Frost,Hutchings,Wylie

Offline Mosside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 November 09 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Though this is a slightly slower response than Monica's, I thought I'd add some information about Mosside, for your interest.

Mosside was part of a larger holding called Gricetail (Grystale, etc; Grystoull in the 1590 Act Anent the Debateable Land), located on the south side of the present-day village of Canonbie, which was divided in late 18th century into Priorlinn (also Priorslynn etc.), Mosside and Hollinhurst during what was called the Age of Improvement. The shift in farming from the collective to individual tenancy resulted in many landless families and much movement of the farm labour force.

My gg grandfather was born in Mosside. His father, John (b.1756 in Gricetail), was a tenant farmer there when he got married in 1791. John died at Mosside in 1835. He was the last of the family to live on the steading of Gricetail, where it was said that the Armstrongs had lived for 317 years.

Wyllies are listed at Priorlinn (William, 41, ag. labourer) in the 1841 Census. There were also Wylies in adjacent Closses and Forgebraehead, and Byreburnfoot, not too far away. But no William Wylie, in any of those places, matches in age to the father of your Ellen, as listed in the 1851 census. Perhaps he was away at that time, though.

Cheers from someone whose ancestors ploughed the same ground!

Mosside
Armstrongs of Canonbie & Debatable Land, Eskdale, Ewesdale, Liddesdale, Annandale, Cumberland

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 November 09 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 I know this post doesn't relate to your family in any way but our ancestors may well have known each other, i have been researching the Murrays from Dumfriesshire for absolutely ages now with not much success, while reading your post regarding Mosside i noticed you had a reply from 'Mosside' and in it he mentioned FORGEBRAEHEAD, there are generations of my Murrays from the Canonbie & Langholm areas and Forgebraehead is the address given by my ancestors on the census of 1841 and again in 1871, their occupations were usually miners. :) :)
 Kind Regards ;D
Family Romany Names Of Special Interest;
Bedfordshire LOVERIDGES & PARKERS
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;
MEADS from Luton, Bedfordshire,
RADWELLS from Buckinghamshire,
HUCKLESBY'S from Toddington Bedfordshire

Offline Mosside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Chinacharlie,
Here is an interesting tidbit for you.

Gilchrist Canonbie MI #112:
"In memory of Jean Murray spouse to Thomas Armstrong in Watch-hill who died September 1790 aged 54 years. Also Thomas Armstrong who died at Watch-hill May 4th 1823 aged 86 years. Also Nancy Yates spouse to George Armstrong, Forgebraehead who died April 12th 1825 aged 54 years. Also the above George Armstrong who died 30th October 1837 aged 79 years." So George was, in all probability, the son of Thomas.

There were Armstrongs in Forgebraehead from mid-18th to mid-19th c. (approximately).

You might want to start a new thread about Forgebraehead and see what comes up!
Regards,
Mosside
Armstrongs of Canonbie & Debatable Land, Eskdale, Ewesdale, Liddesdale, Annandale, Cumberland

Offline walterc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Entering "Forgebraehead" into the "E & L" index coughs up 6 returns.  The index now goes from 1848 to 1873.

See

http://www.langholmarchive.org.uk/lookup.php

WalterC
Hounam ~ Dumfriesshire; Pettigrew, Scott ~ Hawick; Tweedie ~ Hawick and Moffat;