Author Topic: ALLAN, BARWICK, BIRMINGHAM, BRYANT, BURTON, CAMERON, CASSELS, CELEY, CUTHBERT.  (Read 14456 times)

Offline Coriolana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm researching the following names:

ALLAN  from Aberdeen Scotland
Barbara Adia Grant b. abt 1853 Aberdeen.  Immigrated to Australia abt 1857 (Melbourne) with her parents Logie Grant (b. abt 1808 Aberdeen m. 25 Nov 1841 St Nicholas Church Aberdeen) and Barbara Adia Allan b abt 1812 Aberdeen.  Barbara's parents were George Allan and Barbara Eddie.  

BARWICK from Essex, England
William BARRACK m. 24 Jan 1792 in Barnsdon, Essex to Mary Place.  
Their son John BARWICK B. 1792 Sudbury, Suffolk - was tried on 7th March 1808 at the Essex Lent Assizes and given a life sentence.  He was transported to Australia arriving in Sydney on 27th February 1810.

BIRMINGHAM from Tipperary, Ireland
Alice Dwyer b, abt 1833 County Tipperary d. 19 May 1877 Gundagai, NSW, Australia - parents were William Dwyer and Mary Birmingham

BRYANT from London, England
Mary O'Donnell b. abt 1842 London.  Immigrated to Australia (date unknown) and married Duncan McPherson in Sydney on 18 Nov 1873.
Mary's parents were John O'Donnell and Mary Bryant.

BURTON from Lancashire, England
My Burton/Davies line actually went to New Zealand from Lancashire.  I don't have much on them only:  William Burton married Harriet Davies on 10 April 1853 in Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire.  Their daugther Amelia was born in Spain.  I beleive that William was in the Army and may have been stationed at Gibralter - hence Amelia's birth in Spain.  The family then immigrated to NZ.  I have this information thanks to a family researcher in NZ.

CAMERON from Bredalbane, Perthshire, Scotland
John McINTYRE b. 25 Oct 1808, Aberfoyle m. 21 May 1831 in Aberfoyle to Margaret McNEE (aka McVIE).  Both went to Australia after the marriage - date not known.

John's parents were John McINTYRE believed to be born in Colgarten, Perthshire and Margaret SINCLAIR (no further details known)  Margaret's parents believed to be Donald McVIE and Agnes CAMERON - no further details known.

CASSELS
I have this name in Australia and yet to make the UK link, but any information would be appreciated.

CELEY from Somerset, England
Elizabeth Celey (alias Kewer, Sealy and variations) was born in Somerset, England about 1776.  It is believed that Elizabeth's mother was Elizabeth Vicary nee Sealy/Celey who married Robert Vickary in North Curry, 19th February 1786 after the birth of Elizabeth Celey.  

Elizabeth was tried at Somerset on 8/8/1795 for stealing.  She was transported to Australia and arrived on 18th July 1798.  Her mother Elizabeth Vickary was convicted of receiving the goods stolen by her daughter.  Elizabeth Vickary was also convicted and transported to Australia on the same vessel.

As this is a convict line I'm sure that many people have tried to trace it back to England.  To my knowledge there hasn't been much success.  

CUTHBERT from Yorkshire, England
John TINDALL b. 11 Nov 1779, Willitoft, Bubwith m. 2 Dec 1802 at Bubwith to Charlotte THOMPSON.  John was tried for burglary on the 15th July 1809 at York and sentenced to death. The sentence was commuted to transportation for life.  He was transported to Australia on the 'Indian' arriving in 1810.  Charlotte joined him in Australia.  

John's parents are beleived to be John TINDALL b. 6 April 1751 m. 24 Nov 1776 at Bubwith to Frances HAWKINS.  This John's parent's beleived to be Richard TINDALL  and Helen MASTERMAN.  Richard's parents believed to be Thomas TINDALL and Margaret CUTHBERT.  Helen MASTERMAN's parents believed to be William MASTERMAN and Elizabeth LEVANS.

regards
Carol from OZ

ALLAN BARWICK BIRMINGHAM BRYANT BURTON CAMERON CASSELS CELEY CUTHBERT DAVIES DAWSON DEAN DWYER EDDIE FITZGERALD FLOOD FLOYER GRANT GREEN HAWKINS HIMES LEVANS LONG MASTERMAN MAXWELL MCINTYRE MCLENNAN MCPHERSON MCVIE MOSS NORMAN ODONNELL PLACE PLAYER PULLEY ROGERS ROPE SINCLAIR STEED & OTHERS

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ALLAN, BARWICK, BIRMINGHAM, BRYANT, BURTON, CAMERON, CASSELS, CELEY, CUTHBER
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 May 05 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Coriolana,

I have moved your name interests here to the "Emigrants to Australia"  as you will probably find more help here ... and there are a lot more RootsChatters now, than when you originally posted this.

Have you looked in the Surname Interests Table yet ?

There are several other RootsChatter researching BURTON, BRYANT and CAMERON

Good Luck,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Coriolana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
thanks Bob  ;D

Carol
ALLAN BARWICK BIRMINGHAM BRYANT BURTON CAMERON CASSELS CELEY CUTHBERT DAVIES DAWSON DEAN DWYER EDDIE FITZGERALD FLOOD FLOYER GRANT GREEN HAWKINS HIMES LEVANS LONG MASTERMAN MAXWELL MCINTYRE MCLENNAN MCPHERSON MCVIE MOSS NORMAN ODONNELL PLACE PLAYER PULLEY ROGERS ROPE SINCLAIR STEED & OTHERS

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: CASSELS in Fife
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 August 05 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

CASSELS are found in Fife Scotland.  I am not connected to it, but here's some misc. info I picked up along the way:

St Peters Episcopal Church Kirkcaldy
Baptisms:
CASSILS  Robert son of James and Christian  born 8 Jan - Baptised 3 Feb 1828.

Inverkeithing Associate Baptisms  1753-1775.

CASSELS  child of James and Mary LESSELS  married  mid- Sept 1765.

Monumental Inscription  East Wymess Churchyard - St Marys by the Sea:

Erected by Robert LOW in memory of his  mother Isbella Cassels who died 11 March 1851 aged 36 years, also his grandparents Robert LOW who died 10 Oct 1825 aged 51, Helen GRAY who died May 16 1848 aged - and Peter who was drowned 22 Nov 1837 aged 26.  Christian DALL wife of Andrew CASSELS who died 2 Dec 1858 aged 72.  Andrew CASSELS died May 10 1877 aged 93.

(might be LAW but I am pretty sure the name is LOW - also common in Scotland)

Hope it helps,
Gene-genie
 :)
BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
DEV:18thC  RICE, Mary, ADAMS, CLARKE,STENTAFORD. MICHLEMORE.
HANTS: RICE-ADAMS, RICE-DEVEREUX-ADAMS (S'hampton), PIPER.  (Hants)
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.
LANCS: DUNN, Manc. BROWN Dorset
CHS: BROMILEY
SOM:  BALCH.
WLS:  MORRIS, MGY/DEN, WMS, GRIFFITHS,
WTS/Lon: SKUSE
BRKS/Lon: CHURCH. WAKEFIELD

Offline Coriolana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: ALLAN, BARWICK, BIRMINGHAM, BRYANT, BURTON, CAMERON, CASSELS, CELEY, CUTHBERT.
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the information :-)

I really need to find out thorugh immigration the date of entry of my Cassels, I have tracked them back to 1846 to a country NSW town.  I don't even know if this person is the first Cassels in Australia (his name is Isaac).

thanks
Carol

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ALLAN, BARWICK, BIRMINGHAM, BRYANT, BURTON, CAMERON, CASSELS, CELEY, CUTHBERT.
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

One more snippet, several years ago on the Fife Rootsweb Forum there was a Ken Cassels in New Zealand - as you are in that part of the world, maybe you have access to NZ phone book?

If you do contact him - could you pass on my email address as I am in contact with a Cassels/Moodie link in Canada, I think they might be related...Geneaology gets you around the world
(As you might have guessed I live in Fife......)

You can search Fife list from here:
http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/SCT/SCT-FIFE.html

Good Luck! :)
BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
DEV:18thC  RICE, Mary, ADAMS, CLARKE,STENTAFORD. MICHLEMORE.
HANTS: RICE-ADAMS, RICE-DEVEREUX-ADAMS (S'hampton), PIPER.  (Hants)
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.
LANCS: DUNN, Manc. BROWN Dorset
CHS: BROMILEY
SOM:  BALCH.
WLS:  MORRIS, MGY/DEN, WMS, GRIFFITHS,
WTS/Lon: SKUSE
BRKS/Lon: CHURCH. WAKEFIELD

Offline Coriolana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 December 05 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My Cassels have no link to NZ.  thanks for the info though

Carol

Offline Anne in OZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 December 05 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Coriolana.  I haven't had a lot of time to look through my discs.  I have only looked briefly for Barbara Allen or Grant.  These entries might interest you.  When I have a chance I will look further.
Cheers
Anne in OZ

Surname: GRANT
Given Names: Barbara
Event: D
Spouse Surname/Father: Allan George
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Barbara EDDIE
Sex:
Birth Place: ABER
Death Place:
Year: 1867
Reg Number: 8273
Denomination:
Parish:
Fiche:

Given Names: George Bannerman
Event: D
Spouse Surname/Father: Loggie
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Barbara ALLAN
Sex:
Birth Place:
Death Place: SANDRIDGE
Year: 1882
Reg Number: 13310
Denomination:
Parish:
Fiche:

Given Names: Barbara Adia
Event: M
Spouse Surname/Father: DAWSON
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: William James
Birth Place:
Death Place:
Year: 1876
Reg Number: 3553
Denomination:
Parish:
Fiche:
SCOTLAND: Bothwell Hunter Cumming Forbes Deans McPhail Wyness Malcolm Cameron Harvey McQueenie McCall Morrison
ENGLAND: Bailey Beer Beere Mann Worker Wines Page Turner Vagg Grimwood Heaton Stanbridge Stapleton Thompson Pittard Chick Dummelow Brown Dimmitt
IRELAND:Corkery O'Connor Reid McFadzen McFadden Oates McQueenie

Offline Anne in OZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 December 05 18:08 GMT (UK) »
ooppssss, forgot to tell you those entries where from Victoria.
Cheers
Anne in OZ
SCOTLAND: Bothwell Hunter Cumming Forbes Deans McPhail Wyness Malcolm Cameron Harvey McQueenie McCall Morrison
ENGLAND: Bailey Beer Beere Mann Worker Wines Page Turner Vagg Grimwood Heaton Stanbridge Stapleton Thompson Pittard Chick Dummelow Brown Dimmitt
IRELAND:Corkery O'Connor Reid McFadzen McFadden Oates McQueenie