Author Topic: who is this guy?  (Read 4781 times)

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
who is this guy?
« on: Monday 26 June 06 15:22 BST (UK) »
Please can someone tell me who this is?
Yeah, if only it was that simple. Realisticly though...

This photo (provided it comes up when I press the button has lived.
It's been trimmed across the bottom to make it fit something, been stuck in a book, picked out again, stamped with my mother's stamp 'J Mathias' and then shuffled around for heaven knows how many years.
So who is it? Well, you're not going to tell me that, but can someone out there give me any idea of the uniform and the date the photo was taken.
I know a bit about costume, but it's all crinolins and leghorn hats, not uniforms.
Thanks in advance, you're a good bunch, I know you'll come up with something.
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: who is this guy?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 06 15:35 BST (UK) »
Well Val Paraiso, Chile seems to have been a naval base (just from Googling)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valparaiso

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline dortmund

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 06 15:41 BST (UK) »
Looks like a naval uniform, on the left arm there's an anchor badge

Trevor
Ethell in Yorkshire & Kent
Gamble in Hemsley & York
Kersley In Sheffield & Winchester
Roberts in Llanwrst & Sheffield
Lill in Boston
Wake in Yorkshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from "http://wwwnationalarachives.gov.uk"

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 06 15:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, Valparaiso was a naval base (see battle of Coronel in WW1 for example)
This chap seems to be Navy, he has the Killick badge (fouled anchor) on his arm which would make him a Leading Seaman I think.

Who do you think it is Paula? With a name and approximate date maybe we can confirm for you.

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 June 06 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula

Can you find who you think it is in the Royal Navy Service Documents ............ ???

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 June 06 15:45 BST (UK) »
Calle St Juan de Dios is at bottom right of this map

http://www.turistel.cl/mapas_cyp/valpo.htm

If you could find out when the photographers was there, it would date your photo roughly.

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 June 06 16:01 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid this chap is all part of the infamous Eliza Ann Smith/Moore/Wicks, enigma.

Family legend says it was my mother's 'Uncle Harry' who was in the Merchant Marine.
That's it... end of story...

Well, you've blown the Merchant Matrine part already. Thanks for that, (typed with sarcastic finger but really grateful just more confused)

Family legend also says that two of the Moore family, who seem to have a liking for the name Harry/Henry were drowned. I don't know if this lad was one of them.
Legends aside, Grandmother Harriet had a severe phobia against the sea, so much so that my mother was forbidden to play sea songs on her harmonium.

I can give no date other than a guess of 1880-1920 big help, I know, but out of depth and dont want to be the third one to drown.

Thanks for helping this much. See how useless I am, didn't even think to google, but just mention Eliza and it's straight jacket time!
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 June 06 16:03 BST (UK) »
It seems to have been set up in 1870, which might be a bit early for your photo?  You need to get the Photgraph folk onto this:

SAN JUAN DE DIOS (Establecimiento Fotográfico San Juan de Dios)

Establecimiento de Valparaíso que tuvo locales en la calle San Juan de Dios, primero en el n° 23 1/2 y luego en el n° 41. Habría sido creado por Miguel Guillermo Cunich hacia 1870, aunque pudo tener un origen anterior, ya que hay retratos de estudio San Juan n°23 1/2, fechados en 1864.

From: http://www.geocities.com/alloni1/biografiaslatin.htm

A  ;)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 June 06 16:14 BST (UK) »
Here's a photo from the same studio - near the bottom

CDV BUST VIEW UNION NAVAL OFFICER, BM: VALPARAISO, CHILE

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0lz/

The imprint of the studio on the reverse matches, although it is probably earlier as the address is apparently 23 1/2 Clle St Jaun (not 41 as yours is, which was later)

I think you can still see traces of the red mount on yours too.

;)