Author Topic: Glasgow 1861 census look up please  (Read 4011 times)

Offline campbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Glasgow 1861 census look up please
« on: Tuesday 26 October 04 14:50 BST (UK) »
William Stewart son of John Stewart born 1842-1844 in the 1881 census stated born in lanark in his death certificate his middle name is Aitchinson. His mother Agnes (Dick) died in Feb 1861. I am hoping to find out more info on his father John from the census. I am hoing that he still lived at home before his marriage in 1862 where he is said to be a cane worker

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow 1861 census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 October 04 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, Do you have any info. on William's siblings?
I checked the 1861 census index for Glasgow, there were loads of William Stewarts  born around 1842-1844, but none born Lanark.  1861 Lanarkshire index has one William Stewart age 18 born Lanark, a John Stewart age 59, Margaret age 36, Janet age 34, Thomas age 23, Elizabeth age 12 and Janet age 6
The census was taken LANARK.
There is another William Stewart age 21,  born Lanark,  and a John Stewart age 19, poss. brother, living in Lanark.
If neither of these are your family, I would really need some more clues to find him.
Hope this helps even a little bit.

Cheers Liz
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline campbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow 1861 census look up please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 October 04 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank a lot
 it would seem that it could well be the William Stewart as i reckon he would have been about 17 to 19 on the census also his dad@s name was John. His mother had died in Feb of that year her name was Marjory Colquhoun at that time the addres was 12 Wallace Court Central District when William married in the November of the following year the address was 28 Bellgrove Ter ( I think) district of High Church I cannot confirm sisters etc as i only have the 1881 census to go on I have been told that they were not at either of these addresses on the 1861 census
Thanks again Helen