Author Topic: Re: Australian Lookup Offers  (Read 37784 times)

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Lookups offer
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 16 April 05 08:15 BST (UK) »
I did find a Charles PLUMMER in the Cemtery Indexes, may be your Charles died in his infancy?? Won't be able to go and check the actual Cemetery Indexes until later this week.

Surname: PLUMMER
Given name(s): Charles
Date: 5-8-1852
Cemetery Index

Shanko
 ;D

Offline Wendy Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Serendipity'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 16 April 05 08:25 BST (UK) »
Found a marriage for Joseph Plummer to Agnes Hendry 11/2/1850 at The Manse, Freeman St., Adelaide. Bride and Groom's Father's names unrecorded. Grooms age 25 & Brides age 22.
District of Adelaide Book No. 7 Page 204 (used when ordering cert.)

Also 2 marriages for a Alexander Plummer with father Joseph.

1. Alexander Plummer (single) 27y.o. marr. Elizabeth Ann Martin (widow) 40y.o. 11/2/1878 Place of marr. listed as House (East Moonta) Bride's Father's name John James Martin.
 District Dal.  Book no. 114 Page no. 572

2. Alexander Plummer (widower) 33 y.o. marr. Amy Couch (widow) 39y.o. on 23/2/1884 at Residence of Amy Couch (Moonta) Bride's father William Hocking.
District Dal. Book 138 Page 647

hope this helps,

Wendy

Offline treesearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 16 April 05 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,
Thanks - you have the right family. The parents were married in Adelaide in 1850. They moved to Victoria after Alexander and Charles were born - perhaps they never registered the boys' births. Thanks very much for the search and also the additional marriage info for Alexander - very helpful.
Treesearcher

Offline treesearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 16 April 05 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanko,
Thanks for the searches. Charles didn't die in infancy, but the same name is very intersting! Looks like we may have a bit of a 'dead-end'!
Thanks for trying, Treesearcher

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 16 April 05 09:02 BST (UK) »
When did they come to SA? there are shipping records, immigration records, directories, hospital records, BMD records, 1841 census  heaps of other things you can check

Shanko
 ;D

Offline Wendy Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Serendipity'
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 April 05 09:47 BST (UK) »
I think the Charles Plummer Shanko refers to is 25y.o. at time of death.

I am also looking for a S.A. birth but have been advised that is was quite common not to reg. children if you lived a fair distance from registry office. Just too far to travel.

cheers,

Wendy :)

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 16 April 05 12:52 BST (UK) »
That doesn't mean that the person can't be found. I could not find a birth at all in someone on my husbands side so I drove up to Hamley Bridge and there in the church records were his baptism. So wether a birth was registered or not you can still find a person

Also when a birth happened and you lived a while away from the main town or place there was an official who went to each town and took details from every person who had been born, died or got married

Never say never

Shanko
 ;D

Offline Wendy Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Serendipity'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 April 05 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shanko that's good to hear and keeps our hopes up for sure. What if the person wanted to hide the birth perhaps? Then what?

cheers,

Wendy

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 17 April 05 07:22 BST (UK) »
Wendy

You always have school registers you can look through if you know the area they lived, there are deaths from the area if the child died young, church registers in that area. Although it would be time consuming there are places you can locate a 'hidden' birth

Shanko
 ;D