Author Topic: 'Pensioned by Marquis of Ailesbury'  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Ruth17

• RootsChat Member
  • My grandparents John & Sarah Evans
    • View Profile
'Pensioned by Marquis of Ailesbury'
« on: Friday 30 June 06 14:02 BST (UK) »
On the 1861 census, a relative - Stephen Vincent aged 62 is described as 'Ag Lab. pensioned by Marquis of Ailesbury'. Does anyone know whether there are records which could give me more detail.

Ruth
WITHERS, BEVAN, PARNELL, TOVEY & MINETT, Thornbury GLS;EVANS Amberley GLS & B'ham post 1872; VINCENT Burbage WIL & Avening GLS; WEST & BISHOP, Tetbury GLS; RATCLIFFE Kemble & Rodmarton GLS;

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 'Pensioned by Marquis of Ailesbury'
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 June 06 14:24 BST (UK) »
HI

Not up on it at all but found this website where Pensioned and Marquis of Ailesbury are both mentioned.

http://www.burbage-wiltshire.co.uk/historic/olddescrip.htm

If once the link is loaded you then click on Edit in your toolbar then click on find on this page and types in pensioned you will be able to read what I did.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline Ruth17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 June 06 14:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Winston

Some interesting information on Burbage, with mention of the marquis of Ailesbury. However I think the pension mentioned was from a Friendly Society, rather than the Marquis.

Ruth
WITHERS, BEVAN, PARNELL, TOVEY & MINETT, Thornbury GLS;EVANS Amberley GLS & B'ham post 1872; VINCENT Burbage WIL & Avening GLS; WEST & BISHOP, Tetbury GLS; RATCLIFFE Kemble & Rodmarton GLS;

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 June 06 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth
There may well be estate documents but I'd have to check.

By the 1860s your relative was doing well to be pensioned as the estate was far from viable suffering from indifferent managemaent.   A survey of 1873 showed that 2 families, Pembroke of Wilton and Ailesbury of Savernake, owned roughly 10% of the county between them.

However, since the 1820s, with the start of Tottenham House a project that financially overstretched the family finances, management of the estate deteriorated.   A survey in 1867 showed that the majority of good tenant farmers had left for pastures new.   By the 1890s the Victorian History of Wiltshire commented "Wilton was then a model of good, if over capitalized management while Savernake was an example of neglect".

Hope to have more news next week.

Cheers Dave

Just seen your post about Friendly Society.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Ruth17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 June 06 15:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for those comments, Dave.

I would appreciate it if you are able to check whether there are any estate documents that might give more information.

Ruth