Author Topic: KELLOW of St Teath - slate quarriers  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KELLOW of St Teath - slate quarriers
« on: Saturday 01 July 06 08:48 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother was Margaret Kellow born St.Teath 1821 / 1822 daughter of James Kellow, Slate quarryman of St. Teath and, I think, Ann Best.

In the 1841 census Margaret is living at Pengelly hamlet, St. Teath with her parents James (55-59) and Ann (55-59) and a handicapped brother, Emmanuel (20-24) and a sister, Mary (15-19); Margaret is listed as Margretta (15-19). Her sister Mary was a witness at her marriage to John Eastcott on 16th May 1842.

Margaret and John Eastcott had 5 children of which four survived to adulthood.

My father’s grandfather, William Eastcott moved to London with his brother John Screech Eastcott after completing a slate quarrying apprenticeship and established himself as a builder. He died in 1911 before my dad was born but his sisters were still alive in the 1920’s when the family visited for a summer holiday.

There are many Kellows in St Teath and all appear to be connected to the Delabole Slate Quarry in one way or another. We have a finely carved perpetual almanac in Delabole slate that my greatgrandfather carved as an apprentice piece.

Has anyone worked out who all these St Teath Kellow families were and what relationship they had (if any) with one another? If so I should be most interested to hear from them!!
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK