Author Topic: Portuguese or Spanish? Help with spelling please  (Read 1452 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Portuguese or Spanish? Help with spelling please
« on: Saturday 01 July 06 19:45 BST (UK) »
My husband's Great Great Grandfather was Frank Bruno Hutchinson Lopez born in Goa, india between 1860 and 1870.

Now on the sheet given to me by one of the members of the family they state that he had a Scottish mother hence the Hutchinson and his father was either Portuguese or Spanish hence the Lopez

Some peeple have said he would be Spanish because of the Z at the end of Lopez and some have said he would only be Spanish if there was an S at the end (Lopes)

Can SKS on here tell me which it would be? I know Goa had a lot of Portuguese at that time but cannot find anything else about his family. I know his daughter's marriage cert has his name with a Z and that is about it.

Thanks in advance

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Portuguese or Spanish Name?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 July 06 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hubby's G G Grandad was Frank Bruno Hutchinson Lopez born in Goa between 1860 and 1870

His mother was ? Hutchinson from Scotland and his father was Lopez from Spain or Portugal.

Some have told me that he would be Spanish if there is a Z on the end and some have said he would have an S if he was Spanish.

Can SKS tell me which it would be?

Thanks in advance

Carol

Moderator Comment:  topics merged
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: Portuguese or Spanish Name?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 July 06 19:51 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this website?http://www.casbah.ac.uk/newsarticle2.stm
As Goa was a Portuguese colony, then he was probably Portuguese, don't worry about the spelling of the name, it would be how the English thought it was spelt.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 July 06 19:53 BST (UK) »
Goa was a Portuguese colony, so it was probably Portuguese.

Ancestry says  that Lopez is Spanish, from the medieval personal name Lope.

Lopes is a Portuguese name, from the medieval personal name Lopo.

Both Lopo and Lope come from the Latin for wolf.

Stephen :)

Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 July 06 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for your replies

So it looks like he was Portuguese but somewhere further back originally the family came from Spain. Now to try and find anything on the family in India

Carol