Author Topic: Russell family of Newton House Burneston  (Read 4696 times)

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Russell family of Newton House Burneston
« on: Sunday 02 July 06 16:05 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me anything about the Russell family of Newton House in the 1870's?
My German gtgtgrandfather was sponsored by his employer Robert Russell for his naturalisation cert. in 1875.
He worked for him at Newton House and Albermarle St. London, so I assume the Russells were quite wealthy, but I haven't been able to find out much about them.
Thanks
Caro

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Russell family of Newton House Burneston
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 July 06 17:25 BST (UK) »

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 July 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Caro,
There are several Russells in Burneston, Bedale, Yorks. on the censuses, all fairly wealthy i should imagine, being JPs, vicars,, commander in the Royal Navy.
I cant find a Robert though.
If you do a spot of googling though there  is a site with quite a bit about Burneston and it mentions Newton House and the Russells.
Search for Burneston Parish Information from Bulmers 1890  (genuki.org.uk)
Hope this may help,
Best wishes
  cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 July 06 18:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the leads, Pels and Cathy. They look quite an interesting family, so I may get sidetracked further!
Best wishes
Caro

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Caro. Whilst researching my own family's possible connection to Newton House, I've stumbled across your entry. As your entry was six years ago, I'm thinking that you've probably sorted this all out. But, just in case you haven't, I'll add what I think I know about this subject.

The 1st Duke of Cleveland was William Vane. In London in 1813, he married his second wife,Elizabeth Russell, the daughter of Robert Russell. There were no children of this marriage. The Robert Russell you mention could be Elizabeth's father, though he'd have to be getting quite old.

At the end of the 18th century, Newton House was owned by (or occupied by John Culley Harrison) who died on the 13th April 1800, and who apparently has (or had) a tablet to his memory on the north wall of Darlington parish church.

By his death in 1842, William Vane appears to have become the lord of the manor and owner of Newton House.

I'd be interested as to when and how Newton House came into the possession of William Vane. Did he acquire it himself or did it come from the Russell's via his wife? Anybody know?

Offline Thomas Russell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 May 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi hope this helps I'm doing my family tree and my last name is Russell so been finding loads of russell names but I did find this person who is a lord from the time u looking at he's called Robert hoe this helps https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Robert_Frankland-Russell,_7th_Baronet