Author Topic: Gibson family.  (Read 18120 times)

Offline monalisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gibson family.
« on: Monday 03 July 06 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm looking for any information about my Gr, Gr, Grandfather Robert Gibson and his family, Robert was born at Tweedmouth, Berwickshire c.1836, he died in Kirkaldy, Fife in 1917. He was married in the first instance to Ann or Agnes Renwick born c. 1839 in Elliarage? or Ellingham? England {taken from two different census's} he was married a second time to Jane Francis. Roberts father was also Robert Gibson and his mother was Janet, or Jane or Jean Gibson?
Some of the names carried down the generations were: Robert, Daniel, Henry, James, Alexander, Agnes, Jane, Mary.
In census's they were mostly down as Hawkers, they have been in census's in Hawick, Duns, Berwick, Coldingham, Kirkaldy, Dalkeith. So they got about quite a bit!
Any information would be very much appreciated, especially pre 1800. As I have come to a standstill!

The Gibson's were a travelling family, I think they mostly dealt in selling Chinaware.
My Great Great Grandfather's sister [Agnes Gibson] was married to Esther Faa Blyth's son Robert Rutherford.

Offline ladykirk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson family.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 February 09 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I think your gt. gt. grandfather Robert was the brother of my gt. gt. grandfather Alexander.

Offline monalisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 February 09 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Really! that's great!
Yes Robert did have a brother named Alexander. :)
How far back have you got with the Gibson's? If you would like some info [although you may have more than me] then please don't hesitate to ask.

Offline ladykirk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I am stuck at Alexander. Knew he had a brother Robert but did not know about Agnes until I read your message.

Offline rosie1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 June 10 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
My Gr Gr Gr Grandfather is your Gr Gr Grandfather I haven't got any further back yet than Robert Gibson and Agnes Renwick.
Have been up to NAS looking at the Valuation Rolls 1914 /1915 just getting the hang of it.
Found his son gr gr Grandfather Robert Gibson (who was married to RoseAnn Mullan.) at 14 Kirkgate containing house, Garden, Stable. Then 1917/ 1918 he had numbers 10, 12, & 14.
My mum still tells me stories about when she was a young girl and the stories her grandmother another AGNES GIBSON told her. about selling Embroidered Linen.

Rosie

Offline monalisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 June 10 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,

I'm not really that much further ahead of you, but I think I do have Robert's father and mother, I think they are Robert Gibson & Janet Gibson [possibly cousins] they were married on the 9th March 1825 in Tranent, East Lothian. On the OPR it states that Robert Gibson Hawker in Tranent married Janet Gibson daughter of Alexander Gibson Hawker in Falkirk.
I cannot find Anne Gibson's [Renwick] death recorded anywhere? But I do know that Robert remarried in
1896, he married Jean Francis in Haddington, on the marriage certificate his parents names were given as Robert Gibson [Hawker] and Jean Gibson [ms. Gibson] so I  do think this is the same couple that were married in Tranent in 1825 as people with the name Janet often had their names shortened to Jane or Jean.
Robert died in Kirkaldy in 1917. His son Daniel registered his death and mistakenly gave Robert's mothers name as Mary Gibson.
My Grandmother also used to tell me off her and her sisters sitting in the back of her father James Gibson's horse and cart.  :)

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 August 10 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I'd like to chip in here because Robert Gibson (born Tweedmouth c.1836) was my great grandfather.  His son Daniel (1867-1936) was my maternal grandfather and I was born in Kirkcaldy.  Please let me know if you would like to swap info.

Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 22:25 BST (UK) »
My family on my mothers side (who was a Young)a Ben Gibson in Kirkcady who dealt with carpets,many years ago,There is a Ann Renwick b c1840 Berwick-upon-Tweed married Robert Gibson b c1840 also Berwick,their son Robert Gibson b1858 married Rose-Ann Mullen b c1863 South Shields

any connection?
Joe

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Joe,

Yes, there is a connection.  Robert Gibson (1836-1917) and Anne Renwick (b.1839) were my great grandparents.  Robert was born in Tweedmouth and Anne was born in Lucker, Northumberland.  They married at Lamberton Toll in 1857.  I've got Robert Gibson, their first son, married to Rose Ann Mullen in South Shields but I don't know the date, neither do I know much about Rose Ann other than she died in 1919.

I'm intrigued by this Ben Gibson, though, because the elder Robert died in Kirkcaldy - my birthplace.  My mother was a Gibson.  Do you know much about Ben?  How does all this fit in with your family?

Would you prefer to exchange info via email?  We can pass email addresses by private message on this board.

Regards,  Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk