Author Topic: Gibson family.  (Read 18360 times)

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson family.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 February 16 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debs,

Thanks for those death cert details. I had originally thought that my 2xgreat grandmother, Janet Gibson, was the daughter of Alexander and Jean Gibson but the only birth record I can find for her is from scotlandspeople 479/50/382 which gives her baptism in Falkirk as 17 May 1806 and her parents as Thomas Gibson and Anne Reid. The only marriage I can find for these two names is 19 May 1805 in Arbuthnot, Kincardine. The date fits nicely but this is quite a long way from where the rest of my Gibson family were. Any thoughts?

Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline projectgibson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 February 16 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack,
Yep just a couple of thoughts
Where Alexander and Jean Gibson Hawkers?
Is it possible Janet was also known as 'Jean'?
I have a Jean Gibson -  1st born child to Alxender Gibson Weaver and Jean Gibson Kilmarnock 1808.
The Kilmarnock connection is throwing me but I'm not discounting it yet! I feel Jean and Alexander were actually around Falkirk at this time. I'm sure they married there in 1806???? I'm sorry I don't have my notes with me at the mo.
Debs :)

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Debs,

I've just found a possible wife for Alexander Gibson. Janet Jean Gibson born 7 Nov 1788 and baptised 28 Dec 1789 in Falkirk. Her parents were George Gibson and Marianne Manson. See LDS Batch No.C119701. Her death age could have been reckoned from her baptism date but death certs are notoriously unreliable as sources anyway. Her baptism record from ScotlandsPeople Ref.479/50/9 does not give her father's occupation. It only mentions that the birth was lawful. However, the vast majority of my Gibson ancestors were hawkers.

Janet had five siblings, William 1790, Jean Swinton 1792, Agnes Scarth 1794 George 1795 and Thomas 1801, all born in Falkirk.

I can still find no reference to my Janet Gibson, born 1806, being part of this family. Her baptism entry 479/50/382 has her father as Thomas Gibson, Grammar School, Falkirk and her mother as Anne Reid. The very next entry is for her sister Mary Anne who was born 27 Sep 1807 in Forfar and baptised  two weeks later in Falkirk. So, now I have to research the Grammar School thing!

Hope you can make use of all this.

Jack

Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

Offline projectgibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 February 16 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack wishing you well with your Gibson quest. I'll certainly be following this thread with interest from now on and I'm sure this Gibson family will all be clear as mud one day  ;D

Offline Ellengowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 00:23 BST (UK) »
Debs,

I've just found a possible wife for Alexander Gibson. Janet Jean Gibson born 7 Nov 1788 and baptised 28 Dec 1789 in Falkirk. Her parents were George Gibson and Marianne Manson. See LDS Batch No.C119701. Her death age could have been reckoned from her baptism date but death certs are notoriously unreliable as sources anyway. Her baptism record from ScotlandsPeople Ref.479/50/9 does not give her father's occupation. It only mentions that the birth was lawful. However, the vast majority of my Gibson ancestors were hawkers.

Janet had five siblings, William 1790, Jean Swinton 1792, Agnes Scarth 1794 George 1795 and Thomas 1801, all born in Falkirk.

I can still find no reference to my Janet Gibson, born 1806, being part of this family. Her baptism entry 479/50/382 has her father as Thomas Gibson, Grammar School, Falkirk and her mother as Anne Reid. The very next entry is for her sister Mary Anne who was born 27 Sep 1807 in Forfar and baptised  two weeks later in Falkirk. So, now I have to research the Grammar School thing!

Hope you can make use of all this.

Jack

Jack
My family is descended from Thomas Gibson of Falkirk Grammar School.  A 19th century book "Schools and Schoolmen of Falkirk" by Love, tells of his tenure as rector / headmaster of the School and gives details of his birth and death.  I have attached an extract for you and for other interested Gibsons.  One of Thomas's sons founded Gibson's Travelling Library in 1820s which I'd like to find out more about. I have details, less immediately to hand but recoverable, of his children's dates of birth etc. and also about the scandal involving his brother, Adam Gibson.
AL

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 09:57 BST (UK) »
AL,

Thank you so much for your message.

Thomas Gibson and Anne Reid were my maternal 3xgt grandparents and, until your message, I had no idea of their parents.

I am intrigued by your reference to Adam Gibson because the only reference I have for him was as witness, with Jean Reid (sister of Anne?), to Janet Gibson's baptism on 17 May 1806. I came across a webpage Ross and Cromarty Heritage which has the book "Nigg and Shadwick History - A Changing Parish" by Anne Gordon. Under Chapter 26 - Education there is reference to a Thomas Adam Gibson, a student at Tain Academy, being appointed Parish School Master and session Clerk in 1821 at Tain.

If you can find the time I would really appreciate the details of Thomas' children and also the story of Adam Gibson.

Do you know which of Thomas's sons had the travelling library? Perhaps if we both search for that we could stand a better chance of uncovering the story.

Jack

Offline Ellengowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Jack
Thomas Gibson was my great-great-great-great grandfather.  So we are very distant cousins!
Adam was Thomas' brother, born in Dumfriesshire in 1778.  I have attached his and Thomas' birth records. Adam was the black sheep of the family.  You can read about the court case at https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=16kDAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA519&lpg=PA519&dq=%22adam+gibson%22+tain&source=bl&ots=MJNWh6mSVv&sig=2boZdWc-aCha4fZhnoUtxdgUlxs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV0Y_txfjaAhVqBcAKHd_2CKIQ6AEIOjAE#v=onepage&q=%22adam%20gibson%22%20tain&f=false
Adam had a son named Thomas A Gibson who was a scholar who wrote textbooks in classics, languages and geography in the early 19th century and who emigrated to Canada in 1830s and was later a professor at McGill University. 
Our Thomas Gibson had a son named Alexander who had the travelling library. He died in penury in the workhouse in Falkirk in the early 1840s. His death certificate is annotated and describes him as the son of the rector of Falkirk Grammar School - who was still alive at the time. There is obviously a sad family story there.
I will look out some more material later in the week and send on to you.
Alyson

Offline Ellengowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Thomas Gibson birth record

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 16:13 BST (UK) »
Alyson

Thanks again for these gems, especially the link to Adam's case of dismissal. I look forward to what comes next.

Incidentally, I am going to visit a cousin in Linlithgow in a few days time. Falkirk isn't so very far away and I was wondering if the original Grammar School was still there.

Jack