Author Topic: Gibson family.  (Read 18118 times)

Offline Ellengowan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson family.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
Jack
The Grammar School, at least 19th century version of it, stood at corner of Park Street and Princes Street in Falkirk.  It is now a community education centre. It might be worth contacting the Falkirk Herald https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/contact-us to check if they have any old photos. Some years ago my cousin and I visited Callendar House in Falkirk where all the archives of the town are stored. They were most helpful and I would recommend a visit. It is in a lovely setting http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/archives/default.aspx . My cousin also found a Forfar connection with both Thomas and Adam teaching at the Academy School there in 18th century.  Adam ended up in Tain at the Academy.  If you search for Adam Gibson and Tain online you can find scans of the school registers.
I found a post where you mentioned a newspaper article about the death of Anne Reid.  Could you post a link to it?
Have a good trip to Linlithgow.
Alyson

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 10 May 18 07:12 BST (UK) »
Alyson,

I found the newspaper report in the findmypast collection. From the Aberdeen Press & Journal, 30 April 1834, it reads "At Falkirk, on the 14th., Ann Reid, spouse of Thomas Gibson, A.M., Rector of the Grammar School there." A double check on scotlandspeople 479/130/474 and the burial register gives us "Parish Church-yard April 19. Ann Reid wife of Thomas Gibson Grammar School Master of Falkirk"

There is mention in Schools and Schoolmen of Thomas being elected assistant to his brother in Forfar in June 1805 before settling in Falkirk the following year.

Many thanks for the links. I will follow them up later as I have no time at the moment. I run the local art group here and we are gearing up for this year's exhibition, hanging tomorrow and showing Saturday and Sunday. The clear up starts on Monday so, busy times!

Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline Ellengowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 13 May 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack
We have found four children of Thomas Gibson and Anne Reid. Janet (b 1806) Mary Anne (b 10 Oct 1807) Thomas (b 28 May 1810) and Alexander Reid (b 22 Oct 1815). My family is descended from Alexander. The name is still in the family: my cousin, his sons and grandson all have Alexander as a first or middle name. Alexander married Margaret Drummond.  He seems to have gone from having a travelling library to being a bookbinder and stationer.  We found a record that seems to be his bankruptcy. It looked like it was the perennial small business problem - people not paying their bills.  He was owed around £2400 - about £250,000 in today's money and could not pay his creditors.  He and his wife moved into the Falkirk workhouse where their son Thomas was born in 1845. Young Thomas, aged about 13 seems to have made his way to Dundee where he married twice. His second wife was my grandfather's grandmother. My grandfather remembered her well.
Alyson

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 14 May 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Alyson,

Many thanks for your latest message. I would like to send you a couple of newspaper articles but I cannot work out how to insert the two jpeg images. It's probably very simple and I am missing something obvious so, can you give me a clue please?

Jack
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 14 May 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
Alyson,

Somehow one of the images got attached. I have no idea how so I'll try to replicate what I did.

Jack

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 14 May 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
Alyson,

I am not sure of the second article. The name may just be a coincidence.

Jack

Offline Ellengowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
Jack
Thank you for these articles - fascinating!.  What source do you use for them?
I think the Alexander Reid Gibson may be the right one - compositor is a printer and we know Thomas's son did printing and bookbinding.  This opens up other possible sources like Glasgow Royal Infirmary records and the Sheriff Court records. 
Alyson

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 15:28 BST (UK) »
Alyson,

I use the newpapers and periodicals collection at findmypast. If you don't subscribe to this site please let me know if there is anything you would like me to look up.

Another quick search on the GRI and I found a site called Jisc Archive Hub, the link for which is    https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb812-hb13. They hold the admission documents for 1816 - 1960 of Gartnavel Royal Hospital which I think was originally was the lunatic asylum bit of the GRI.

Unfortunately, I do not think that I will have time to do any research in Glasgow next week.

Jack

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 20 May 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
Alyson

I've just found the will of Thomas Gibson (1810-1841) dated 3 May 1842, (Ref: Stirling Sheriff Court SC67/36/21) which lists him as bookseller and resident of Falkirk, only brother of Alexander Reid Gibson.

There are 3 handwritten pages in which Alexander seems to be the only surviving relative and he states that he will take over the management of the business.

Do you know if Alexander Reid Gibson was married to Helen Russell and did they have children?

Jack