Author Topic: Gibson family.  (Read 18398 times)

Offline JayNapier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson family.
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Will do, thank you for very prompt response. J

Offline Ellengowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Kags,

I have no source for their marriage but familysearch has the birth of their son John on 4 Jan 1869 which was at Duns (see Batch No C117351). Agnes is listed in each census there from 1871 to 1901 but Robert is not mentioned on any of them. Scotlandspeople seems to have no record of their marriage but I was once told that they married in Coldstream. Since writing that earlier I have been unable to find a source to cannot confirm that.

If Robert Rutherford was the son of Esther Faa Blyth why would he have a different surname?

Agnes Gibson was my great great aunt born 1844 in Gordon and her parents were Robert Gibson (b.1795 Nenthorn) and Janet Gibson (b.1806 Forfar) as I mentioned in my post on 5 June.

I do not know who Robert Rutherford's parents were.

Jack

Hi Jack
Esther Faa Blythe married a Rutherford. see https://www.scottishgypsies.co.uk/esther.html
Hope you are well
Alyson

Offline projectgibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 12 May 19 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi all, there seems to be a lot of connections on this thread so am wondering if any of us have DNA tested? I have.  ;D
Anyone know of a GIBSON DNA thread?
Cheers Debbie

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 12 August 19 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie,
I've just picked up your post asking if anyone with Gibson ancestry had taken a DNA test. I tested earlier this year and uploaded the raw DNA to the gedmatch site.

There has been a rather disappointing response to all the matches that I contacted, with only two replies to the first twelve on my list. Have you fared any better?

Regards, Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline projectgibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there Jack, tbh I have not really used Gedmatch that much but have uploaded my DNA there.
My kit no. is A373019
Would be interested to you know yours.
As for responses to contacts on any of the Genealogy/DNA sites, I have had very few!! So dissapointed also.
Do you have a tree anywhere that I could view?
Kind regards Debbie

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie,

Thanks for giving me your kit number. I've run a quick comparison with my kit QJ7959232 on the gedmatch one-to-one tool and it appears that we do not share any DNA segments although there are several base pairs with full match and many base pairs with half match, whatever that means.

However, that's not the end of the trail. I do have a tree on Ancestry but, as it isn't kept up to date, it might be best if I send you a GEDCOM and you can compare my Gibsons with yours. To do this I will need your email address which can only be sent to me by Private Message on this site.

Another option would be for me to send you a PDF narrative report based purely on my Gibson line. This would be based on my mother, Agnes Gibson, and would show her ancestors generation by generation.

Please let me know what you think would be best.

Kind regards,
Jack
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 15:38 BST (UK) »
Debbie,

I've been looking at your tree and am becoming more convinced that our connection is with your Jean Gibson b.1808 who I think that she was baptised 15 Mar 1808 in Kilmarnock, the daughter of Alexander Gibson.

Scotlandspeople has the following:

Tranent Parish Register 9 March 1825
Robert Gibson Hawker in Tranent and Janet Gibson daughter of Alexander Gibson, Hawker in Falkirk were proclaimed 20th & 27th Feb. Married 9 March 1825.

Given the random nature of the Gibson's naming their daughters Jane/Janet/Jean with a seemingly free choice throughout their lives, makes a strong case for this connection.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Kind regards,
Jack

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 06 September 19 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie,

It's been a wee while since we were last in touch. In the meantime I've been trying to resolve the connection between us and I may have come up with a solution.

For years I have had a copy of the marriage entry for Robert and Janet which shows that they were married on 9 March 1825 in Tranent but I could never find her parents. A couple of days ago I came across another marriage entry from the Falkirk OPR 479/120/101 which reads, "Robert Gibson of the parish of Tranent and Jean Gibson of this parish. Married 11th March 1825."

The minister in Falkirk probably new her and therefore got her name right which I now believe is Jean Gibson born 1808 in Kilmarnock to Alexander and Jean Gibson. The minister in Tranent probably misheard her name and made an incorrect entry.

I would be very interested to hear your comments on this which, if I'm right, confirms Jean as my 2x gt grandmother.

Kind regards,
Jack

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 06 September 19 19:13 BST (UK) »

A very interesting thread and subject, keep up the good work, lots of things went on yeares ago that d.n.a will not be able to work out unless thousands are tested, thats just how life is