Author Topic: Townlands of Lower Cumber  (Read 5075 times)

Offline townlandirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Townlands of Lower Cumber
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 July 06 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Adrian,
You are very knowledgeable in respect of the O.S. maps available.  I have vague ideas of what is available but not enough to know where to find them.
I was nicely surprised to find that the maps for Griffiths Valuation were available.  A long time ago I got copies of the valuation of Lower Cumber and have often wondered where the places were situated on a map.  At that time I thought the maps had been lost.  As I live in England, I don't think I will be able to find the items you mentioned, in my local libraries.  Although I will try.  If not, I will check locally the next time we go to Ireland.
Thanks again for your very welcome information.
Regards
Maurice

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 July 06 17:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry for butting in on this thread, but originsnetwork.com does NOT have the maps for the northern 6 counties of Antrim, Armagh, Londonderry, Down, Fermanagh and Tyrone.  I wish they had :(
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 July 06 17:43 BST (UK) »
tootsiepie:
Many thanks for your appropriate butting in - your posting is of course correct - I use the Valuation maps so often for the other 26 Counties that I had forgotten about the lack of NI Counties on originsnetwork. Valuation maps for the NI Counties are available at PRONI (VAL/2A).

The National Library of Ireland does however have full coverage of the island (not marked up for Valuation).

Maurice:
I did not mean to suggest that libraries in England might have copies - I meant that a library in Ireland would probably have access to a copy of a historical 6-inch map of its local area (not marked up for Valuation).

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline townlandirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 July 06 17:49 BST (UK) »
Dear Tootsie and Adrian,
Thanks to you both for the good and bad news.  I will try, as I said, to get some results when I go over to Ireland.
Regards
Maurice.