Author Topic: Beaumaris birth - John Grey Jones - help!  (Read 4779 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Beaumaris birth - John Grey Jones - help!
« on: Wednesday 05 July 06 12:05 BST (UK) »
I've been searching for birth registration details for John Grey Jones ( possibly John Gray Jones) who was born in Beaumaris c. 1850. No such name is recorded in the national indices for 1849-1851, (although there are many plain "John Jones" registrations, I'm hoping to avoid buying certificates for all of them!).  It could be that the birth was never registered. However I am certain that there must be a baptismal record somewhere - can anyone help me to track that down? John Grey Jones' mother was ( I think) Mary Jones, nee Grey, and his father was Thomas Jones, a stonemason/marblemason.    In later life John became a Calvinistic Methodist minister, and he was married in the Trinity chapel in Beaumaris in 1879.  The chances are that his was a Calvinistic methodist baptism. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Beaumaris birth - John Grey Jones - help!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

as you know the approx year, the location, his parents names, and his fathers occupation, you can apply to the Llangefni RO for his birth certificate.

I would phone them first, they will let you know if they find the entry,or if there are more than one similar, will contact you for clarification.

Costs 7 pounds, and the ladies at the RO are most helpful - and quick.

Let me know if you need the contact details

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks D,

The RO was closed for enquiries today but I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 July 06 14:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks again D ap D, I wrote by first class mail to the Anglesey RO yesterday ( they won't do things over the phone anymore) and they just called me to say they have found my John Jones, son of Thomas and Mary nee Grey, born August 1850. Fantastic service.