Author Topic: BECHER, LOWE & SHERBROOKE Families, of Oxton Hall, Southwell, Notts  (Read 12939 times)

Offline SimonNZ

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BECHER, LOWE & SHERBROOKE Families, of Oxton Hall, Southwell, Notts
« on: Wednesday 27 October 04 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have any connections, or references to these families:

BECHER, LOWE & SHERBROOKE

The SHERBROOKEs occupied OXTON HALL, Southwell, Nottingham from approx 1566 - 1900.

There was considerable inter-marriage between the families, and also a connection, by marriage, to a HANSON family, of Besthorpe, Notts.

Regards
Simon
Baretta  Becher  Dabridgecourt  Fogarty  Gooday  Hanson  Hatfield  Lowe  Martini  Sherbrooke   Waddington  Watters

Offline Robin Hood

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: BECHER, LOWE & SHERBROOKE Families, of Oxton Hall, Southwell, Notts
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 October 04 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
Notts FHS Indexes have references to these familes back to 1700. I did notice a Sherbrooke Lowe Becher christened 30.10.1834 At Southwell, Father Henry esquire, farmer,gentleman and mother Elizabeth.The surname Becher only appear in Southwell. Who in particular are you looking for.
Hubbard, Read, Pinkett, Eastwood, Willetts, Whitehouse, Wilson, Cook(e),Goodman

Offline amontilado

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 09 07:10 BST (UK) »
I would be very interested to know what Church Sherbrook Lowe Becher was baptised in, as I have been hunting for his baptism for quite a while! His siblings Susanna 1823, Eliza Wright 1823 Elizabeth Lowe 1824, Mary Georgiana 1826, Caroline Bridget 1828, Richard Turner Michael 1830 & Edward William Henry Becher 1832 are also on my wish list. I know their names from a will, & approximate ages from various Census.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 09 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

It was St.Marys (Minster)

There are 54 baptisms for Bechers at Southwell & a lot of Gentlemen &
Esquires so perhaps part of the same family.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amontilado

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 July 09 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunflower, thanks for the Church name. They are all part of the same family [that of my mother] , but I had thought another member of my family had looked at the register & not found the children of Elizabeth & Henry Becher.
If it is possible, I would love the Baptism dates of the Becher children listed; [Especially the first two, as they seem to be about the same age & I have wondered if they are twins] ;

Susanna Wright Becher approx 1823,
Eliza Wright approx 1823
Elizabeth Lowe approx 1824,
Mary Georgiana approx 1826,
Caroline Bridget  approx 1828,
Richard Turner Michael approx 1830 &
Edward William Henry Becher approx 1832

Thank you,
From Jenny, Sydney, Australia

P.S. I have 28 Baptisms at St Mary, so I am missing quite a few it seems...

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 July 09 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you send me a personal message with your email address I will send you them all  (click on green scroll)

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 July 09 14:16 BST (UK) »
 Iam sure you know this but here goes anyway...The Reverend John Thomas Becher born Ireland 1770,moved to Southwell in 1792, He was a social reformer and designer of the Southwell workhouse. Built in 1824. He was the son of Michael Becher of Cork.He became Vicar -General of Southwell in 1818.He died in Hill House Southwell in 1848. On the 1841 census he is aged 71 and a Clergyman. Living with him are Mary C aged 35 and Michael aged 22. On the 1851 census Sherard Becher b 1774 Southwell is the Vicar at East Markham.There is a memorial tablet in the church in praise of his 41 years as Vicar there.Sherard was the son of the Rev William Becher.He never married.Sherards sister Mary Drake Becher married the Rev John Thomas Becher above.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline amontilado

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 July 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol very much! I have sent you a message.

Thanks to you too Larkspur; I do have most of that, but it is much appreciated. The Michael Becher with John Thomas Becher in the 1841 Census is my Great Great Grandfather. John Thomas Becher was his Uncle. Michael also became a Reverend, [as did both his brothers] & he emigrated to Australia & had 16 children, although sadly quite a few died [including John Thomas Becher named after his Uncle]. Michael's youngest brother Richard Savage French Fane Becher named one of his sons Sherard Becher.

From Jenny

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 July 09 15:05 BST (UK) »
Do you want a photo of the tablet in the church? I could also look for a grave not sure if there is one though..
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley