Author Topic: BECHER, LOWE & SHERBROOKE Families, of Oxton Hall, Southwell, Notts  (Read 12906 times)

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BECHER, LOWE & SHERBROOKE Families, of Oxton Hall, Southwell, Notts
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 July 09 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

I have found 14 marriage bonds/licences the Becher family which includes this one.

14 May 1823
Henry Becher esquire aged 40 & Elizabeth Wright aged 21 both of Southwell at Southwell

others include -

Richard Turner Becher 1761
William Becher 1767
Ann Becher 1770
Elizabeth Becher 1770
Michael Becher 1780
Mary Becher 1785
Henrietta Lowe Becher 1794
Henrietta Becher 1831
Margaret Pereira Becher 1834
Elizabeth Becher 1839
Eliza Wright Becher 1843
Elizabeth Lowe Becher 1845
Mary Becher 1848

If you haven't already got them let me know

Carol

Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amontilado

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 July 09 01:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol for Baptisms. My email provider server is down, so I can't reply, but I will as soon as the server decides to co-operate! I do have those marriages, but thank you for offering.

Larkspur, I would love a photograph of the church tablet. There are Becher tombs/graves in the churchyard, but I have no idea how legible they are. It would be great to see them anyway. Thank you.

Offline amontilado

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 July 09 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the burials too Carol. Most of my problems are solved, apart from "losing" a Sarah Becher, Richard T M Becher & their Chidren Sarah [b 1852] & Henry [b 1856] after 1858, no baptisms for Susanna Wright & Eliza Wright Becher both born abt 1823 to Henry & Elizabeth Becher, a death for Thomas Samuel Lowe Becher [apparently in  1753] & a pre 1710 baptism for Michael Becher [son of Edward & Bridget]...and a name for the Miss Becher who [according to the newspapers] married a Henry Walker in May 1737 in Nottingham.

ok, that is still a few loose ends! But most of them are all neatly tucked in, so thank you.

Offline sagebrush

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 February 15 03:04 GMT (UK) »
new to this site, wondering if there is any connection of these BECHER family members to my great grandmother Alice Ethel Fane Becher...the Fane is an unusual name so hoping there is a connection?

Offline amontilado

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 February 15 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sagebrush,
There certainly is a connection; same family, although your ancestor belonged to a slightly different branch. Do you have a date of Birth & death from Alice Ethel Fane Becher? I have her birth as about 1857 in Ontario.
What would you like to know? I have her BECHER ancestors back to the 1500's.
From Jenny

Offline sagebrush

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 February 15 04:08 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in whatever I can get!  She was born Oct 23 1857 and died Dec 29 1949 in Vancouver BC.  I have her immediate siblings and know the generations after her, but very little before that.  you can pm me if you prefer!

Offline amontilado

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 February 15 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for Alice's dates. I have Alice buried at Old St Pauls Cemetery, London, Ontario. Do you know if that is correct? I have 7 siblings for her.
Her father was Henry Corry Rowley Becher [born 5 June 1817 at Gower St, Bedford Square, London, England. Died 6 July 1885 at Falconhurst, Sidcup, Kent. England]. He married on the 27th October 1841 to Sarah Evanson Leonard.
Henry C. R. Becher was the 10th & youngest child of Captain Alexander Becher [born 6th April 1770 at Shutt End, Staffordshire, England & was buried 23 Feb 1827 at St John the Evangelist, Smiths Square, Middlesex, England]. Alexander Becher married on the 11th May 1793 at Port Royal Jamaica to Frances Scott. Frances was the daughter of Rev John Scott & she was born in 1778 at Kingston, Jamaica. She was buried on the 23rd August 1859 at Turnham Green, London, Middlesex, England.
I have lots more...

Offline sagebrush

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 February 15 03:46 GMT (UK) »
awesome, thanks so much J!  I had heard the name of her father and have some history on him but nothing more than his politics and career!  anything you care to share is of interest...still figuring out the process on this and how best to keep track of it all!

Offline sagebrush

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 February 15 04:13 GMT (UK) »
i just looked at the death certificate for Alice Becher and she was buried in Vancouver.  I did find her siblings listed but see 5 Bechers and 4 1/2 siblings with the last name Marklem...