Author Topic: Carsphairn MIs  (Read 5944 times)

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Carsphairn MIs
« on: Wednesday 05 July 06 18:42 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone advise if these are available?  Or even better, burial records.
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Carsphairn MIs
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 July 06 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Coincidence is amazing!  My wife and I had just come to the conclusion that we needed MI's for Carsphairn as well.
We are looking for Richard Jamieson detail. We were in the graveyard two days ago but most of the detail has been eroded.

Our best bet for help with this is Gadget the resident Kirkcudbright expert but she's off-line probably having a gourmet sea-food nosh-up!

If you can't wait you could try the Carsphairn Heritage centre
e-mail  carsphairnhg@hcentre.fsnet.co.uk

Their website is carsphairnheritage.co.uk  ]Just tried their website and it's not available   :-[
folks there are extremely helpful.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 July 06 20:58 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for a Thomas MacDonald died 1860, aged around 87, who I have been told is there.  (My ggggxgrandfather)   Plus any other MacDonalds who may be lying around (so to speak).
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Russell has just drawn this to my attention. I was in London so missed your posting. I have the MIs but as it's a bit late, I'll check up on them tomorrow am. Some of the later burials aren't included but hope to find you some inscriptions.

Gadget  :)

PS and I'll check up on yours as well Russell  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've checked the MIs. Sadly there are no McDonalds listed at all. Either they had no gravestone or the burial is too late for inclusion.
It is probably worth your while e-mailing or phoning D&G Council. Info here -

http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/dumgal/

They hold all available Lair Books in their Castle Douglas Offices.

I had a similar problem a while back and they were very helpful.

Sorry  :(

Gadget

They might just be in Dalry or Kells - will check :)

Nothing there - sorry again
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 08:55 BST (UK) »
Russell

I have a whole ancestry of Jamieson's on one monument:

Robt. Jamieson d Holm 26.5.182- 52, da Mary 13.7.182(5) 8y, s Samuel 24.4.1830 2y, s (Archibald) d Holm 7.5.18-- aged 21 yr, wid Mary Wallace 31.8.1863 75, 2s Richard 13.12.1869 64 (da Jessie d Holm 5.3.1865 23d, 2da Jessie 13.3.1874 5y 11m, s Richard 21.8.1906 45, s John 15.12.1913 46) Mrs Jessie Jamieson b 1837 d 10.4.1916 79.
Robt Jamieson d. Jamieson House 31.3.1942, Mary Jamieson 6.1.1949, also his w Bessie Scott d Folkestone 25.4.1953

Gadget  :)

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Gadget

There is a story attached to Richard Jamieson of Holm of Daltallochan Farm, Carsphairn. He was a wealthy farmer when he married Jessie Roan (my wife's great aunt) in 1862. He died tragically by drowning in 1869 having fathered 6 children  :o
He was in his fifties when he married his 23 year old bride   Shock, horror what have the Parish Records got to say about it?
On his way back from Dalmellington where he had hired a ploughman for the farm his horse apparently spooked - it was a stormy December night - and he fell into the river and was washed away. Poor pony stood all night in the freezing water unable to get out and was found the next day. trapped by a trap would sum it up!
Richard's body was not found until 4 months later miles downstream
His wallet and papers were intact so the poor ploughman he had sacked was absolved of foul play charges.
Jessie (Janet) ran the farm for a further 7 years before retiring to the house he had built for her in the village of Carsphairn nearby.
It's a sad but memorable story which the Carsphairn Heritage Centre group had recorded and published.
If you are ever passing pop in and see their displays, you'll be made most welcome.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 17:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget
Will check out the website you give.