Author Topic: German Ancestors: MUELLER/MULLER  (Read 1019 times)

Offline landgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
German Ancestors: MUELLER/MULLER
« on: Wednesday 05 July 06 22:17 BST (UK) »
i am searching for any help .My gt grandparents came to uk fromPrussia with my grandad a babe inarms.they were Frederick Mueller/, Muller his wife Marie. and child Albert (my Grandad)who changed his name to Laverack.they lived in Hull. Albert died in 1936,he was an engineer on Hull trawlers his  mum Mary Lived on Hessle Road .Strickland Street she died in 1922 was buried asMary Miller a widow of Frederick Miller amerchant seaman,they may have came toUK onhis ship.my search is23yrs long ihave looked and gone every where nothing,Albert married Lilias Ricketts in1897,Albert was born in1877,also trying to find alien registers inDoncaster where she went to Thorne 2nd W>WAR ican remember the police coming to her cottage .none of them were nationalised. i cant give up search although im now78 and still :'( hoping.
  Landgirl

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Ancestors - Where do I start?!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Landgirl,
Most Germans in Hull attended their own church and those Ev. Lutheran church records are now with the Anglo German Family History Society.  If you go to this page on their website you will see that they also have information on the war time detainees

www.feefhs.org.uk.frgagfhs.html

Some of the church records that I obtained gave town of origin so you may be lucky. 

Have you joined a German mailing list?  I belong to rootsweb group "hannover-L"  - the language is English and German but you may want to think about the Prussian list which can be found on:
http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/DEU/PRUSSIA-ROOTS.HTML

I see you say the family were from Prussia but due to various treaties and wars every decade it may be your origins were in a smaller dukedom/principality, for instance my family always called our ancester "the Austrian" but he was born in the Kingdom of Hannover.

Friedrich Müller (this name means miller) and his wife Marie will probably have had another one or two given names in front of the names you have given - these were donated by godparents/witnesses who were sometimes grandparents and it will help if you know them. 

Good Luck,

Rena (an ex Hullensian)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline landgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: German Ancestors: MUELLER/MULLER
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 July 06 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there Reena. Many thanks for your advice,went to rootsweb.L and had a good browse,tonight i have found a christening of one Albert Mueller With grandads birthdate.but no father, of  course he was possibly at sea,it was acatholic church at Bietingen, Konstanz.mothers name was Crescenz Mueller,.I am a member of anglo ,german. soc Albert was not in HullLutherian church,so i went to to the church in Hull no luck there.Alberts' english wife burned all document even the family bible because she was hounded by the police (because she was married to an alien,he died in 1936) so very sad she was a lovely lady and was75 yrs old,Albert wasnot interned in W.w.1.nor his wife Lilias.they had 10 children,her youngest wasa master on Hull pilot boats.being of German roots was ever mentioned. lovely to here from another Hullesian,
                landgirl