Author Topic: Searching UREN family  (Read 18141 times)

Offline cornishpasty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Searching UREN family
« on: Friday 07 July 06 06:18 BST (UK) »
 ;DHello Everyone, I am new and have been browsing and I must say, I have never seen another site as clear and concise and as good as this one.  I'm so happy to be here.

I am researching my family tree and this is the information I was given by an Aunty who lives in South Africa:

William Martin UREN (my great grandfather - came to South Africa from Cornwall - not got dates yet but will have them soon) 1800's.
Married Ella Mary WILLIAMS also from Cornwall.
Don't know how many children they had but one of them was my grandfather Charles Henry UREN who married Martha Maud Nicholas.  Charles Henry had a sister Beatrice Uren.
Charles and Martha had children who were all born in South Africa:

I am trying to find birth and marriage certificates etc. for my great-grandparents and anything further back that I can trace.  I'm afraid I am still finding my way round the computer and the internet so please bear with me.  LOL.

I was raised in an orphanage throughout my childhood and never really knew my family until I made contact a few years ago, so forgive my naievety.

Any help will be much appreciated and hopefully I can shed some light for anyone else who is trying to link up to this part of the UREN family tree.

Regards
Cornishpasty (from Australia) ;D
BAKER - Cornwall
BARRABLE - UK and South Africa
BROPHY - Kilkenny in Ireland,  South Africa
CORIN,  MARTIN, NICHOLAS, WILLIAMS  - Cornwall,  South Africa
EDWARDS - Wales,  South Africa
JAMES - Cornwall, London
KENT - UK, Ireland and South Africa
KLISKEY - Cornwall, South Africa, NZ, USA, Australia
KOWLESKEY or KOULESKEY - Russia (Kalingrad)
PERRY - Cornwall and Australia
UREN - Worldwide (One Name Study)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: Searching UREN family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 July 06 10:40 BST (UK) »
You are going to need dates which you should be able to get from your end, but keep this as it may be your starting point. It's a birth registration William Martin Uren registered at Penzance Cornwall June quarter 1841 the reference number is 9/215. It is possible to order a copy of this if you have  a credit card cost about85/90 Rand, but until you are sure it is correct just keep a note of it.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 July 06 11:07 BST (UK) »
I'm a novice myself, but just had a quick look on freeBMD and found this marriage:

Sept 1843
Uren William          Helston        vol 9 page 123
on the same page is a Williams Mary

That won't be the same William as the one jaywit found .... jaywit's one looks more promising actually.

There are loads of Urens in Cornwall!!!!

The people on rootschat are fantastic and will be sure to help you further.
Good luck with your search.

Offline cornishpasty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 July 06 11:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Jaywit and Engirusaus for your replies - I can't believe how quick that was.  You guys are geniuses.

I have made a note of William's birth reg. no. - thank you both once again.

I am rapt.
BAKER - Cornwall
JAMES - Cornwall, London

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 July 06 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Cornishpasty

I have just done a search of marriages of william Uren in the Cornwall area and the only one i can find is :
William Uren,  Apr/May/June 1888, Penzance with a Mary Williams on the same page.(vol 5c pg 445).
If this is your William and (Ella) mary Williams  that would make him abt 47years when getting married if we work from Jaywit's birth registration of william martin uren  june 1841, Penzance.

I scrolled through marriages from the 1850's till i found the above .

just another question ...do you have any idea if your William had siblings. I did come across a william in Penzance in 1871 census living with his 2 sisters Mary jane and Selina along with a nephew , Rueben?

As Engirusaus stated  there are LOADS of William Urens in cornwall.

let us know how you get on

regards
Deb

ps I love your name....  Cornish pasties are one of my favorite foods. I am envious of my parents who live in Truro, Cornwall as they can have one when they like ;D

another ps : I lived in South Africa for 20 years myself   :D
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cornishpasty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 July 06 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Deb,
I've just written a long reply only to find that I "lost" it.  LOL.  Boohoo, so have to start all over again.

Thank you so much for your post.  I really do appreciate your help in trying to trace things for me.  I have this Aunty in South Africa (my late  father's youngest sister) who is bedridden and can barely write due to arthritis in her hands.  Anyway she is not on the computer but has recently found a nephew whose wife has kindly offered to liaise with me via email and it is such a blessing.  I know that my aunty has been doing the family UREN tree for some years and she has promised to send me all the documents via seamail.  I cannot ask her too many questions at the moment as I have only just got in touch with her through the internet and her nephew.  I am just so excited about the genealogy and I'm afraid that I have even put my book writing aside so that I can deal with the genealogy side of things.

I don't know anything more at the moment other than what I have written because my aunty is bedridden and cannot move around so I am reluctant to ask too many questions.  I don't want her to be hobling around either (she has a broken leg).  Anyway, I think that if I can just contain my excitement, I will eventually get all the information I want.  I do so want to be able to leave it on the internet for future researchers and generations looking for answers.

Thanks so much for your kind help and interest.  Thanks also to everyone else for their kind help.  Like I said before, this is the best website I have ever comes across.  There is so much help and people are actually interested in helping each other.  I am just hoping that with all the information I finally get, that I will be able to tie up some loose ends for others.  How absolutely interesting that you spent 20 years in South Africa.  Please keep in touch. 

Hugs to you all
Cornishpasty (CP for short  - LOL).
P.S.  I love Cornish Pasties too except I don't eat meat, so only put the vegies in mine.  Teehee.
BAKER - Cornwall
JAMES - Cornwall, London

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 July 06 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi CP  ;D

This is a FABULOUS place to be when researching !!!!! The people here are so willing to share their time and resources. I have found loads of rellies, living and dead through their help  :)

you will not be disappointed!  Sooooo,  we will wait until you receive the info from your aunt and we will go from there.

We look forward to hearing from you !

take care
deb

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 July 06 17:29 BST (UK) »
Sooooo,  we will wait until you receive the info from your aunt and we will go from there.

while you are both waiting,
try looking in the Surname Interests Table (link at bottom of the page  [Your Surname Interests] )

There are two RootsChatters researching UREN, both in Cornwall

Worth sending them a PM ??

(and while you are there, add your names, too :) :) )

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 July 06 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
Thanks for that , I have never looked there before and have just picked up  a name  of a chatter that  is new and has some of my family names. :)

great stuff!!!
thanks

deb