Author Topic: Roberts/Evans  (Read 1696 times)

Offline jthomps1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roberts/Evans
« on: Friday 07 July 06 13:12 BST (UK) »
I have procured a copy of a marriage certificate that may be that of my gggrandparents.  It states:
28th February 1857 Marriage solemnized at the Pendre Independent Congregational Chapel in the County of Carnarvon & Anglesy
David Roberts age 27 years Bachelor; Occupation- Mariner; Residence-Glany Mor; Father’s Name- John Roberts; Occupation- Sawyer
Ann Evans age 24 years Spinster; Residence- Hole in the Wall, Carnarvon Father’s name- Robert Evans (deceased); Occupation- Seaman
Witnessed by Griffith Hughes & Margrat Roberts
It all adds up with the exception of the ages- according to obituaries and family information and David would be 17-born in 1840 and Ann 27- born in 1830- but they had never seemed to be too consistent about their ages throughout their lives in the Census until their later years.
In David’s obituary it states he was born in Llanbedrog.  Ann’s gravestone says she was born in Clwt y Bont.
They immigrated to the US with Ann’s daughter Mary Owens (b 1850) and their son David (b 1859) in 1862.
Ann may be the Ann Evans shown residing in the Pritchard household at Rhyda Guon in Deiniolen in the 1851 Census.  The year old child’s name has been transcribed as Laura- but the original image is indistinguishable- this may be Mary Owens.
Ann and family is found again- minus David in the 1881 Census in Green Terrace, Llanddeiniolen- they returned to Wales for a while- stayed until mid 1880’s.
I have copies of a number of Birth Certificates for David Roberts’ born in the Pwllheli District is the 1840 time frame.  I have one for a David Roberts born 6th of March 1840 at Fronoleu Rhiw- mother Catherine Roberts- no father listed.
If anyone has any information or could help fill in some of the blanks here I would certainly appreciate it.
Thanks
Jack