Author Topic: SHIEL/D/S of Edinburgh  (Read 4699 times)

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SHIEL/D/S of Edinburgh
« on: Saturday 08 July 06 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Does anyone out there have a Thomas Shiels, Shields or Shiells, born about 1833, who mysteriously disappears from the records before 1856?

My Thomas came to Australia sometime before 1856/7 and said he was born in Edinburgh. He gave his parents as Thomas Shiel/ls and Janet, maiden surname unknown.

My cousin and I have subscribed to Ancestry and Scotlandspeople in an effort to find him. We've also trawled the IGI and the internet, immigration and passenger lists etc., and made a list of all possible Thomases of the right age (+/- 5 years) born anywhere in Scotland, regardless of parents' names. Of about 50 possibles, we have eliminated all but 3 by finding out what happened to them. The 3 who are left don't quite fit the bill either, according to what we've found about my Thomas in Australian records - either the age, birthplace or parents are not quite right. Even if my Thomas was not entirely truthful, we still don't have any way of proving that any of them are him.

Of course, he may have slipped through the net - his birth wasn't registered, he was hiding under the house when the census man came, he lied about his parents... but it seems a bit hard to believe that ALL these things happened. Any suggestions as to what to do next?

We have a HUGE collection of census and vital records for the many Thomases - so if you have a Thomas Shiels who even comes close to this description, we've probably researched him - feel free to ask because you're welcome to anything we have.

Eve

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
Re: SHIEL/D/S of Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 July 06 01:46 BST (UK) »
With respect to his birth it is quite likely that there won't be a record. It wasn't til 1855 that births had to be registered so if he was baptised outside the Church of Scotland (in a minor Presbyterian, Catholic or other denomination) then highly unlikely there would be a record for his birth. A major split happened in 1843 in the Church of Scotland so I'm missing lots of births for people in the 1840s but that doesn't explain it in 1833. Not sure what to suggest for the 1841/51 census thought. Sounds like you've tried practically everything. For this have you tried spellings that differ at the start of the word (i.e. Shiels being spelt without the i maybe Sh*l* might return somehthings???????).

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 July 06 02:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gordon,

As it became obvious that finding him wouldn't be easy we broadened our searches exactly the way you described - we're very flexible about the spelling! Even in Aus records he shows up as Shiells, Sheilds, Shiels, Sheil - even Shielly, so we're not real fussy about how it might originally have been spelled.

Thanks for the church info too - gee, nothing's easy, is it? There are so many gaps in the records and he seems to have slipped through all of them. He was a Presbyterian, but there's no indication of what kind.

There's also the possibility that he "reinvented" himself when he came here. The temptation must be great, coming to a brand new country, but I can't bear to think about the possibility that he changed his name...

Thanks again, have a great weekend.

Offline joanne56

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 August 06 22:43 BST (UK) »
The first thing that sprang to mind when I read your post was that he may have actually come from Ireland. I have a couple of ancestors who migrated to Scotland from Ireland and then went on to emigrate abroad (once they had earned some money down the Scottish mines).  At the time he may have thought it better for his future opportunities to say he was born in Edinburgh.
I also have a Charles Shields who arrived in Scotland from Ireland in 1852/3 (but he married stayed in Edinburgh). The girl He married was also Irish as were a huge sector of the community in and around Edinburgh at that time.
It's only a theory of course, but you could perhaps re-check those passenger lists and look for "Ireland" instead of Scotland.
Only thing that puts me off this idea is the "presbytarian" bit, which is very Scottish but you never know "in for a penny in for a pound" as they say.
Best Wishes
Joanne
Gorman, Kelly, Shields, Brannan; Scotland/Ireland
Bailey,Macclesfield/Manchester
Parry, Davies; Staffordshire/ Manchester
Siddall, Walker, Mercer; Manchester
Davis, Henshaw; Middlesex/London
Wicks, Harbor; Berkshire
Weedon, Harland;Yorkshire

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 August 06 23:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, Joanne. We haven't investigated the Ireland angle thoroughly, but we do have quite a few certificates and census records for men named Thomas Shield/s who were found in Scottish records but turned out to be born in Ireland.

On another line I have a family who was supposed to have been Welsh, according to descendants, but I'm fairly certain the earliest known person of the name was from Ireland and went to Wales to avoid famine or religious persecution. It pays to think outside the square occasionally!

Thanks again, it's definitely worth another look and may well be the reason we haven't had any joy finding him. Saying he was Presbyterian could have been a convenient thing to add to the disguise.

Cheers,
Eve

Offline russell shiells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 February 14 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Photo of Thomas Shiells attached. He was my great great grandfather.

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 February 14 04:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Russell,

Were you at the Shiells Foundation thing at Stratford last August?

I'm Eve on Rootschat but in real life I'm Loretta, and Thomas was my 3 x great-grandfather.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 February 14 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Only thing that puts me off this idea is the "presbytarian" bit, which is very Scottish but you never know "in for a penny in for a pound" as they say.

Don't be put off by that. There are large numbers of Presbyterians in Northern Ireland, the descendants of Scots who were 'planted' in Ulster in the early 17th century. Google for 'Plantation of Ulster' if you want the history and implications.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline russell shiells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 February 14 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry missed that due to a nasty dose of the flu at the time.