Author Topic: JONES Thomas Ishmael..A hard one here!  (Read 2789 times)

Offline kazlee50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JONES Thomas Ishmael..A hard one here!
« on: Saturday 08 July 06 05:43 BST (UK) »
I would like to find anything I can on a Thomas Ishmael Jones. He is not a blood rellie but his children are half siblings to my grandfather. My grandfather Arthur Edwin was born to a Mary Jane Cable and fathered by Arthur Edwin Patten. Mary was his housekeeper at the time! She later went on to marry Tom Jones and he raised my grandfather as a Jones. Tom and Mary had other children, that I know of. What I would love to know is where he came from. He married in Australia in 1882.
I would appreciate anything anyone can find on Tom.
Thank You
Karen Martin nee Jones
Sunny Pilbara   8)
Western Australia

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: JONES Thomas Ishmael..A hard one here!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 July 06 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Karen,
I have found a Thomas Ishmael Jones birth for you , you may have it, but thought its worth a go .
Thomas Ishmael Jones
Born Sunderland June Qtr 1862
Gro reference   10 A 520
I hope this is of some use,
Regards,
Alan Jones

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 July 06 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

Just to clarify - who married in 1882?

Do you have any further information - always best to state everything you know, especially with popular names like JONES (I have them too!)

I am going to move your request to another board, where it should get more views.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline kazlee50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 April 07 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan Jones
That's my Uncles name..... :D
Yes I have been given that info twice so far and have kept for future reference. Thank you for taking the time to look it up for me. Would love to find his children as they would be half siblings to my grandfather. One day maybe. Too many Jonse's out there  :-[
Regards
Karen
Sunny Pilbara  8)

Offline kazlee50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 April 07 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Arronroots
The marriage in 1882 was my gr grandmother Mary Jane Cable to Thomas Ishmael Jones. She already had my grandfather (fathered by Arthur E Patten) prior to that. My grandfather was consequently raised as a Jones as no formal adoption took place that I can find. So the Jones is not a blood line in my family. All very confusing  ???
But will keep at it...
Regards
Karen
Sunny Pilbara  8)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 April 07 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again Karen

Have you got any details from the marriage cert that might help?  I understand Aussie certs to be very helpful & maybe his father is named there?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline kazlee50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 April 07 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Arronroots
I have a copy but only gives his fathers name as Thomas no other names, he was a blacksmith. With a common name like that, it will be fun to trace.
Regards
Karen  8)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 April 07 00:23 BST (UK) »
I can find a Thomas I JONES, blacksmith on the 1881 census - it would be useful to know whether you have immigration details to Australia for your Thomas - did he arrive alone?  does it give his occupation and age?

What about Mary Jane - where was her child born?  Have you found her in the UK at all?

;)

Offline Tjones

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Karen, I can help in your search

My great grandmother was Mary Jane Cable who married Thomas Ishmael Jones, Mary Jane had already had Arthur Edwin Patten when she married Thomas. My Grandmother (maternal) is Florence Edith the second youngest in the family. She married Fred Pearce and they had two daughters Lorna Amelia and Shirley Veronica ( my mother). My grandmother had a younger Sister Amelia who was my great auntie Amy (Hicks). Arthur Edwin Patten/Jones I met as a 7yr old I knew is Daughter Mabel Coleman and I have just contacted her Daughter, Lesley Whiteland and will soon obtain more info. Arthur must have loved the military he put his age up for the Boer war was Ok for WW1 and put his age down for WW2 I don't know how long he served but was discharged when his real age was discovered so goes grandmas' story
Mary Janes' first child to Thomas was Margaret she married Poole her daughter Doris married Mick Gannon I do have relatives with that surname in Geraldton if they're still there. Plus there are about 4 other siblings I do have names year of birth and little else.
From my grandmothers stories Thomas was killed by a train near Greenough whether he was drunk or working as a fettler I can't remember nor have I found any death certificate.
My name is WAYNE CHAMBERS I'm about your vintage my email is wayvick@hotmail.com I live near Bunbury at Dalyellup 6230 I have my own heritage site and have gone back as much as 10 generations with some families and 4 on the jones. Thomas Ishmaels' father also had the same name and was born at Holywell in Wales in 1832. Thomas my Grandmothers father was born at Sunderland Durham England in 1862 Thomas' mother was Ellen his parents married in Lancashire 3 June 1857.
Mary cable first married Arthur Edwin Patton (his Second marriage) they divorced and he then married again for the third time. So now you will have two other families that are half related. I have some leads there.