Author Topic: Looking for William and Jane Woods  (Read 864 times)

Offline meyersje2005

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for William and Jane Woods
« on: Sunday 09 July 06 00:30 BST (UK) »
Looking for William Woods, 38 in 1851 born London England a journeyman labourer. Wife was Jane Woods who was a stay maker. They moved to jersey and had 6 children. One daughter Jane became my GGM and hence my continuing search. Jane Dorn nee Woods buried in Sydney with my GM Elizabeth Meyers
John Meyers
Meyers, Lewis, lazarus, Dorn, Gardner, Mooney, Woods and Williams
Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, England, Wales, Jersey

Offline Meliora

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for William and Jane Woods
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 06 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hello, John,

It seems you have the details of the 1851 census for William & Jane Woods, HO107/2527 folio 522 page 17, but do you have the family in 1841 & 1861 ?

I can send you trrascipts if you wish.

The 1861 census shows Jane as a widow so William must have died 1851-61. I cannot access any BMD records for Jersey so am unable to help you there.

Did Jane Woods marry ...?...Dorn in Australia or Channel Islands ?

by the way, the 1851 census shows William & Jane with 7 children, the youngest being Jabez b c 1850.

I did try to trace a birth for William Woods circa 1813 London,source IGI, but there are 71 entries for the time 1811-1814 so difficult to say which it could be.

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

Offline meyersje2005

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for William and Jane Woods
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 July 07 03:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Meliora
Thank you for replying. Its a long story, but briefly, William Dorn married Jane and then Anthony stepped in. William migrated to Nelson NZ, Anthony and Jane came to Australia and had 6 kids. My grandmother was one of them. Both are burried in a Sydney cemetery. We dont know what happend to William. There is no official marriage document for Anthony in Jersey, NZ or Australia.
Whatever documents you can send me could help and any advioce about what else I can do would be appreciated. Jane's mother was Jane Lewis from Devon UK and I cant find anything as it is before 1837.
Kind regards John Meyers NSW Australia

Moderator comment: e-mail address removed to prevent spamming and other abuse.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thank you
Meyers, Lewis, lazarus, Dorn, Gardner, Mooney, Woods and Williams
Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, England, Wales, Jersey