Author Topic: Henry Solomon Meyers and Matilda Lewis  (Read 978 times)

Offline meyersje2005

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Solomon Meyers and Matilda Lewis
« on: Sunday 09 July 06 00:38 BST (UK) »
In November 1867, Henry Solomon Meyers married Matilda Lewis in Auckland NZ. Matilda was born on London about 1840. Have tried many websites and found many Matilda's but she was Jewish at birth and this defines my search.
Hope someone can help me find Matilda's family and maybe Henry's family as he was Jewish at birth also.
John Meyers
Port Macquarie Australia
Meyers, Lewis, lazarus, Dorn, Gardner, Mooney, Woods and Williams
Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, England, Wales, Jersey

Offline bjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Solomon Meyers and Matilda Lewis
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 06 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi John
As there are a few Henry Meyers and Matilda Lewis's in the census prior to their marriage you would need to give a bit more information to find them.
An occupation or another family member would be helpful etc.
Brenda

Offline meyersje2005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 July 06 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Brenda

the lack of information drives me up the wall, daily.  Henry is shown as a merchant on his application to marry, dated 29 October 1867. Matilda has nothing listed. Henry lived at Queens Street for 4 years before his marriage and Matilda lived in Hobson Street Auckland for 2.5 years. There is a note that Matilda resided in an other district, possibly 95, which was specifically shown on the application. Matilda's place of birth is shown as London and Henry is shown on 2 certificates as being born in Hobartown and Tasmania.
Does this help?
regards
John Meyers

Offline meyersje2005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 July 06 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Again Brenda
Matilda's headstone says in Hebrew, Here lies the woman Mindel, daughter of Zwi.

regards
John

Offline bjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 July 06 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
I see what you mean !!
Not an easy couple to look up are they ?
As your Henry was not born in the U.K. there is probably no easy way to trace his family.
As for Matilda... With 1840 as a start in London could mean that she appears on the 1841 census.
There are quite a few Matilda Lewis's born c1840 in the 1841 census that give their birthplace as Middlesex.  London 'swallowed' up most of Middlesex and it would be quite likely that a person born actually in Middlesex would state their birthplace as London !!
So maybe trying to match up some Christian names that sound Jewish with all the Matilda Lewis's through from 1841 with any children of the couple ??
I wondered if maybe Matilda's original name was Mindl which is a Jewish first name ? Possibly she changed her name to Matilda in London as there were a lot of hostilities toward Jews in London back then.  It was quite common for Jews in London to 'christianise' their names.
As for 'daughter of Zwi' I would wonder if this is her Father's original surname ?
Sorry I have no more ideas.
Brenda