Author Topic: Annuitant  (Read 20277 times)

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annuitant
« on: Sunday 09 July 06 03:02 BST (UK) »
I have come across a few of my ancestors on the 1851 Census. In the column where it says Occupation is listed Annuitant. The ancestors in question were Widows. Could someone please explain what this means.
Sarra

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Annuitant
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 06 03:17 BST (UK) »
It means they were receiving a sum of money from an estate or an insurance pay out.  For example in a will it may say " I leave my wife anannual sum of 10 pounds to be paid her in 6 monthly portions of £5 each 6 months. 

From the dictionary for Annuitant     One that receives or is qualified to receive an annuity.

And from the dictionary for Annuity      The annual payment of an allowance or income.
The right to receive this payment or the obligation to make this payment.
A contract or agreement by which one receives fixed payments on an investment for a lifetime or for a specified number of years.

Hope that helps and shows you how to find the information for yourself

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 July 06 03:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Rob,
I understood what a Annuitant meant, what I was not too sure of was this. Like my ancestors I have dug up have not been wealthy or for that matter had anything of value to leave. I just wondered where the money came from to pay to their Widows. Perhaps my ancestors were not as poor as I thought. Like back in those days they did not have a Pension from the Government. Did they??.
Sarra :)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 July 06 03:56 BST (UK) »
No not at all.  YOu say they were poor?  What profession did the husbands take.  What time period are we talking about?  Where in the country?  All these points can have a bearing. 
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 July 06 05:05 BST (UK) »
Rob, Back again - In my first post I mention 1851 Census - so that time frame.
The first Widow was living with her son and family in Lambeth, Surrey. Her son's occupation was Painter (I presume as in house painter) his wife and daughter were Boot Binders.
The second Widow was living in the household of her niece and family in Lambeth, Surrey. The niece's occupation was Laundress her husband's Lighterman. So I'm thinking the Widows husbands were from the Working Class.  Perhaps I should try and look for Wills - that may tell me more.  A son & daughter from these two households married and migrated to Australia in 1862.
Anymore thoughts?.
Sarra

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 July 06 16:16 BST (UK) »
I am just heading to work but when I get back if you can supply me with a few more names I will search the 1841 census for you and see whats showing there

Rob

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Rob, Apologies for the time it has taken to reply to your kind offer.
If you could please find on the 1841 Census - Thomas Edwards born abt 1779 Marlborough Wiltshire, England. He married a Elizabeth Peters in 1796 in Wiltshire. They had a son Thomas born 1811 Wiltshire. I can find the son and his family on the 1841 census living Lambeth, Surrey.
Someone found a Elizabeth Edwards on the 1841 Census she was a patient in the Somerset Hospital in Froxfield - I don't know if she is mine but could be.  I have (my) Elizabeth Edwards on the 1851 Census living with her son in Lambeth Surrey - she  is listed as a widow.
Perhaps her husband was deceased before the 1841 Census were taken.
Hope you can understand all of this.
Sarra

Offline babyboomer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 08:28 BST (UK) »
hi all. I am watching with interest your comments on Annuitants as I have come across this also and I thought my ancestors where poor. I am just following up that my widow may have worked for someone with money ???Good luck :D

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
  • So much Family History, so little time ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 09:32 BST (UK) »
I also have an annuitant in my tree - widow of an ag lab.
Perhaps there was some money from a previous better-off generation that paid for an annuity?
Diana
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk