Author Topic: Annabella Jones born Queenstown  (Read 1726 times)

Offline JimMcL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annabella Jones born Queenstown
« on: Tuesday 11 July 06 16:05 BST (UK) »
Can anybody out there get me some info on my ggrandmother Annabella Jones? I gather she was born in Queenstown on 6/3/1861 though I don't have any paperwork to back this up. I would think there would only be one in Ireland as it's rather uncommon even in Wales. She married James McLoughlin though I don't know whether this was in Queenstown or Kilkeel where she had her children. The first child was born 21/9/1878, when she was 17, so the marriage must have been 1877/1878. James McLoughlin/McLaughlin/McClaughlin was not Irish. He was a coastguard sailing around the coasts of Ireland and was born in Devon. He commenced his duties as a coastguard on 9/10/1877 and with the first child 21/9/1878, it's a very small time frame we're looking at.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Jim

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Annabella Jones born Queenstown
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim
If Annabella and James were married in Ireland (Cork)you could try applying for a copy of the marriage certificate. Civil registration began in 1864 so you couldn't get her birth certificate as it was 1861(the only exception is Church of Ireland marriages which start from 1845). The marriage cert would give the place and also her father's name.

You have both names and an approximate year also possible places. Give as much info as possible including religion(if known)and the fact that James was a coastguard in case the records are kept somewhere else.

I've enclosed the link , The main register office is in Roscommon but it is sometimes quicker to apply to the local office(who accept cash)
Have a look at 'Research'etc. Also click on 'Fees' and scroll to the bottom for the addresses and telephone numbers of the local register offices.

I know Queenstown is in Cork but I'm not sure about Kilkeel so I've done the link for the Northern Ireland Register as well.

Hope this helps

Neptune

http://www.groireland.ie/

http://www.groni.gov.uk/index.htm

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JimMcL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Neptune,
Many thanks for getting back to me.
If been to the sites and printed off the forms. Unfortunately it appears that for GRO in NI, marriages before 1922 cannot be traced unless the church and district are known. Roscommon require date and place of marriage. I get the feeling that just supplying the parties names and Kilkeel or Cork may not be enough. If I can't get any more info on them, I'll send the forms off anyway. They may send them back but it's worth a try.
I live in England so I'm afraid I can't get to a local office.
By the way you were right about Kilkeel. It's in Co. Down.

Best Rgds
Jim

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jim

Thanks for getting back to me. I too live in England and sent to one of the local offices (Cork) and fortunately got a copy of the marriage cert. It is worth a try if you state Queenstown ' both names' and you have a good idea of the year.
I had a look at the Northern Ireland  site and was a bit confused. If you click on 'certificates' it does say after 1922 for marriages. But if you click on 'Historical Records' and have a look at

'Where are the registers held?'.

'In The District Register Office' 
I think it may be that the marriages are held in the District Register Offices rather than the main one.

Then look at the top for District Register Offices.  These local offices are then listed. They each have an e-mail address  etc.I suppose you could enquire first.

I could be wrong as it seems a bit confusing (to me anyway !)

The reason I asked about County Down is that I came across an old photo of the former coastguard cottage Kilkeel but I wasn't sure where Kilkeel is.  (also a photo of the new one which states Kilkeel Co Down) . I wondered whether this   old  picture would be Kilkeel Co Down. You may have already seen it. I'll enclose the link anyway.

http://www.coastguardsofyesteryear.org/photos/baw/index.html

Select 'Contemporary Photo Gallery' then scroll along until you get to the photo of the cottage(about photo number 16)

Good Luck

Neptune
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JimMcL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 July 06 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Neptune,
Good news. I've got the marriage cert from Newry and Mourne District Council (many thanks to them!). James Scott McClaughlin and Annabella Jones married on 6/12/1877. As usual it answers one question and raises another. Annabella's father, George was a coastguard at Leestone, Kilkeel as well. If he, like James, went from the Royal Navy to coastguard, he could have been married anywhere. I have a photo of Annabella with relatives one of which is an elderly lady, Helen Jones, which I presume is her mother. There isn't a George Jones in Coastguards of Yesteryear and IGI don't have a George Jones marrying a Helen in fifteen years prior to Annabella's birth.
Maybe if I'm lucky, there is a relative of George and Helen Jones that will get in touch.
I had seen the coastguard stations thanks. His birthplace was the older white coastguard cottage. The red brick building was built later and is not actually in Leestone.
Many thanks again for your advice,
Best Rgds
Jim

More good news. Tony Daly at Coasguards of Yesteryear has found birth of Annabella Jones in Church of Ireland Baptismal Records. She was born at Cobh (Queenstown) on 6/3/1861, baptised Cobh Parish on 20/3/1861. Mother Ellen, and father George who was a coastguard at Youghal CG station.
Many thanks Tony
Now to find their marriage!